Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"Doctor, when I press my leg it hurts. Then when I press my chest it hurts, when I press my head it hurts, and when I press my stomach it hurts. I'm worried doc, what's wrong with me?" Doctor replies: "It's simple, you have a sore finger!"

Good Tuesday morning and welcome on this July 23, 2013. Today is the day. It's my time for my annual check up, (They allow a full 40 minutes of set aside time for this officially called: Health Risk Assessment), with my primary care physician. My recent fasting blood numbers have been essentially within the boundaries, therefore, I'm hoping all of the diabetes stuff will be more or less in check. I always prefer early morning appointments so that I can get all the blood work and everything done at one time. However, because of my age, (translated: rationed care), they now have to find a spot for me in their schedule which makes it a 3 p.m. time slot for today, and that means I will return to do the labs in the morning. This means I will be fasting after my evening meal and no Community in the morning until after they have drawn five or six vials for testing. I will tell you that the 'no Community' continues to be the greatest challenge in this procedure, but you knew that already. The good news is that the lab opens at 7 a.m. On the other hand, as they say, if that's my biggest problem I most likely need to find another one to complain about. People have asked me before if I thought it would be good for them to pray for my doctor. Prayer is good. I'm not exactly sure why they think he would need prayer as it relates to dealing with me, but, I might have at least an idea or two about why they asked. In fact, come to think about it, that's probably not a bad idea.

Just two more years. I can hardly wait. According to a new study coming out of Germany, people's happiness peaks at age 23, and then again, at age 69. Supposedly, the younger age reflects the fact that many of life's disappointments have not kicked in yet. The older age is because one can better handle things and one comes to realize that much of what had bothered them before is not that big of a deal anyway. Our textbook for life, the Bible, has quite a lot to say about the true meaning of happiness. We will not be surprised to know that God's perspective goes way beyond a feeling based on circumstances but rather it has everything to do with knowing Him. Isaiah left us these words: "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock." (Isaiah 26:3-4) A song written by Graham Kendrick that we often sing pretty much lays out the true path of contentment and peace. ...All I once held dear, built my life upon, All this world reveres, and wars to own,  All I once thought gain I have counted loss, Spent and worthless now, compared to this... Knowing you, Jesus, Knowing you, there is no greater thing, You're my all, you're the best, You're my joy, my righteousness, And I love you, Lord.... That my friend will beat a study by the world every single time. Amen.

I was at our Church facility early Sunday morning. We had water standing all around from the wonderful downpours on Saturday. I was out on the porch watching the birds. Now they were having a ball. Playing in the water. Slipping, sliding, and skidding through the water and soaking their feathers and then shaking off the excess. They seemed excited and were really carrying on with their loud chirping and squealing. Most of them were sparrows and it reminded me of that famous observation from our Lord and Savior, "Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they." (Matthew 6:26) The Apostle Paul in his inspired letter to the Romans talked about how that God's creation is under the curse that befell mankind but someday it too will be restored. Until then, the birds remind us that we should openly enjoy God's provision while thinking about how much He cares for us. I don't do too many bird stories but watching them rejoice was kind of special. Have a great day and may God bless us all. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: