Thursday, July 11, 2013

“Those static images have the uncanny ability to jar the memory and bring places and people back to life. They bridge the present with the past and validate as real what the passage of time has turned into hazy recollections. Were it not for them, my experiences would have remained as just imperfect memories of perfect moments.” ~ Isabel Lopez, Author

1953, Gang of 8, ready for our train excursion.
Hello once again where I welcome you to throwback Thursday, here on this July 11, 2013.  That throwback Thursday is what they call it on Facebook. Each week on Thursday many people post old photographs of themselves, their families, or scenes from their past. It can be very interesting to see how folks have changed. We looked at a whole lot of old photos when we visited my sister last week. I remember when people had boxes full of photographs. Not so much anymore. They are mostly digitized and you have to look at them on a viewer or personal computer. At any rate, those old photographs do help us to connect, to remember, and to appreciate the life that God has given to us. Sometimes they remind us of those who have gone on to their reward, but at the same time we are also reminded of how blessed we were to have them in our lives. One photo I recall seeing showed my older brother and I when we were very young. We had accompanied our dad on a trip to Georgia to see his folks. He was maybe 7 or 8 and I was maybe 4 or 5. In the photo I was standing in a shallow pool playing in the water with my cousins. Someone had a water hose. I looked like I was having fun. I'm sure I was. But, alas, we do grow up, don't we? (That's me in the front on the right practicing my bowlegged stance.)

There have always been abuses of power, typically anywhere power exists. My view of the current situation tells me that this Administration has done more to stir up people's concern about government intrusion than any I can remember. I listened to some of the testimony before the US House committee looking into the IRS situation and one lady's presentation stuck with me. She is a business owner. She has never in her life been politically active but seeing what she believed to be a threat to her children's future she made the decision to get involved. She formed a local grass roots political organization and then filed the paperwork to get tax exemption status with the IRS, just like all other political organizations. Not only did she get her application delayed in the so called targeting scandal, but since filing her request, she has undergone an impromptu OSHA audit on her business, an IRS audit of her financial filings, and an ATF review of all her employees. How did this happen? Random? Luck of the draw? Surely these were only coincidental. Coincidental. Coincidental. Saying it over and over doesn't help. I don't know about you but these kinds of stories are about as scary as it gets.

While I made sure that I clearly stated 'My view' as a way of presenting that paragraph, I remind us all of Gallup polling that show how huge majorities of our fellow citizens lack trust in our federal government. Let me also be clear about the fact that this is certainly not a new problem and it is not isolated to the current folks in power. I believe they have kicked it up a notch because that is how their philosophical approach where government is in control works. People becoming aware and responding is the best way for this to be dealt with over time. However, so much becomes institutionalized, especially during an eight year run. Once anything is in place, it's next to impossible to get it removed or changed. Typically that's because someone somewhere is benefited financially from it and we all know when money is involved, hold on to your hats. I said it's next to impossible but where freedom and individuality is at stake, I believe it's worth the fight. It's up to us to support folks who will take a stand for what has made our nation great, for the sake of future generations. Okay. I'm worn out just from thinking about all of this but I'm really not able to take a nap, therefore, I'll just say so long for now and see if I can get myself back together by in the morning. May God bless each one. Amen.    .....More later.

No comments: