Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain." ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Hello and welcome to Wednesday, July 10, 2013. I was out and about on Monday and there were some really wonderful downpours in the area. Some were so heavy they immediately produced nearly ankle deep water and as I waded through it, all I could do is be thankful for the rain. We didn't get anything like that at our residence but we did get a couple of brief showers and for that we are so very thankful. As my wife so often says, "We'll take any and all we can get and be thankful when we do." She has done a really good job keeping our yard from becoming completely crispy. Our old neighbor Ellis who went on to his reward many years ago always told me to remember that we had no cattle going unfed because of our grass turning yellow. I not only agreed with him but if it were left up to me I would probably let nature take its course. You are right. It sure wouldn't look as nice as it does with my wife doing her best to keep it alive. And, she is doing a good job.

The royal baby is due anytime now. I'm talking about the little one from the union of Prince William and his bride, Kate. They are expecting and so are those who profit from big events within the royal family. Economists predict the little fellow or filly will bring about nearly a $400 million dollar boost to business. This includes everything from commemorative plaques to baby booties. Our star crossed and celebrity absorbed world can hardly wait. As it has been seen with Kate, the types of clothes she wears have become an immediate sensation even without a royal endorsement. People see it one day and the next day they are standing in line to buy it. They are expecting the same for the new arrival. What the child wears, eats, drinks, or plays with will become the latest product in demand. I'm trying to remember if I have ever purchased anything like that just because of its celebrity connection. I did roll the sleeves a couple of notches on my white t-shirts when I was a teenager. They now call that the James Dean look. I can't remember knowing that when I did it but obviously I was attempting to be cool, that is, if cool was even an available choice in that little rural part of the world.

It is good to have my wife back home. She is an excellent homemaker and that includes home style cooking. Sunday afternoon I heard her mumbling something about not being sure if she had everything she needed to produce a home cooked meal. Not long after she left for the store. We have a good thing going in that she really likes home cooked meals herself. I can do some cooking but it doesn't take long to figure out who is the most qualified in our family. I love it when a plan comes together. All day Monday I was wondering what she might have in mind. I was more than ready to find out. She did not disappoint. Smothered fried beef steak, rice and gravy, cooked mustard greens, field peas and fried okra, fresh sliced tomatoes, piping hot corn bread with that wonderful crust on it, homemade pepper sauce, and some ice cold tea. And, all the people responded with a hearty YUM YUM! That was so good on so many levels, it even made the prayer better before we partook. I know she will not get any culinary stars from the food critics here but she will have them all over her crown in heaven, that is, if they seek my input. Take care now and may God help us all to live today in a way that is pleasing to Him. Amen.      ....More later.

No comments: