Friday, July 5, 2013

Too Much Information!

Welcome once again to today's musings on this Friday, July 5, 2013. I am on holiday today and we will soon be on our way to the Dallas/Plano area to visit with my sister, Jo Ann. She has been undergoing multiple rounds of chemo along with steroid and anti-biotic therapy for a treatable form of leukemia. We have been very much wanting to make this trip and are thankful to finally be able to do it. I'm glad to report the treatments have been mostly effective and she has been a true champion in her perseverance. Speaking of keeping up, I did come to Facebook much later than nearly a whole bunch of other folks but it has been a positive use in my being able to keep up with family and friends. I think the only time I have ever unfriended someone is when their postings became so laced with four letter words. It may not have been them specifically but those who posted to their page were off the chart. I can only recall a couple of those. However, it is interesting to think about why people do remove someone from their Facebook.

A new published survey asked the reasons that people had been blocked, unfriended, or removed. Here's the top ten reasons: 1. BRAGGING too much.  68% of people have unfriended someone for it. 2. Sappy status updates about your love life . . . 61%. 3. Because you never see each other in REAL LIFE . . . 57%.4. Too many status updates . . . 49%. 5. Annoying status updates . . . 41%. 6. Inappropriate photos . . . 34%. 7. Sharing too much personal information in your status updates . . . 27%. 8.  Bad language . . . 22%. 9. Friending THEIR friends . . . 14%. 10. Vacation photos that make other people jealous . . . 11%. I heard one commentator saying that it is interesting since the very purpose of Facebook is to promote all these very types of postings, by design. I don't know of any folks who have blocked or unfriended me but if they have, it's okay. Last time I checked it's a free country and these types of social networks are voluntary. I'm just glad they didn't have too long winded as a reason, and I know that you know exactly what I am talking about.

And, as they always say, confession is good for, whatever it is they say. I do hope that you will enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Many people are on an extended holiday, therefore, I pray for safety from and too, forth and back, and maybe for you flyers, down and up. Looking back over this week's postings, I feel comfortable that I have given us all a thing or two to consider. And, as my wife said once after I had achieved a big promotion at the big company, "Not bad for a Hornbeck boy!" Until next time, may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: