Friday, June 28, 2013

Voted one of the worst country songs: "You Done Tore Out My Heart And Stomped That Sucker Flat"

Today is Friday, June 28, 2013, nine days since she left me home alone. Nine days. She is headed this way, but it's a long journey. Lord willing she will be home tomorrow evening. Day ten. Back when we were dating and we would break up, she would give me my 8x10 and I would give hers back but by the time I got to the end of their road to make that left turn onto the highway towards home, I was already hurting and humming. Humming Ray Charles. "I Can't Stop Loving You." Sorry. But that's how we rolled back in those days. Brother Ray had some good ones to help drown yourself in sorrow. "Born To Lose." "That Lucky Old Sun." "My Heart Cries for You." Mr. Webb who owned the drive in cafe in my hometown used to tell me I could not play the same song over and over again because it was annoying the other folks there. I thought it was a free country. I had the dimes. I should have been able to play whatever song on the juke box that I wanted to hear. Right? He didn't roll exactly the way I did and he had no problem saying enough is enough. That seems like such a long time ago. You know why? Because it was! That's why. At any rate, I have not been humming any Ray tunes, just waiting for my baby to come home, or something like that.

To be honest, we were so young I had to pretty much make it up as we went along. I had not had too much in the way of training or instruction, therefore, I had to let my heart and instinct lead. I can't remember how long we ever stayed broken up but it was typically no more than a couple of weeks as I recall. That was over 50 years ago and I would need to check with her because she might remember the details better than I. The point I am making is how I missed her back then when we were apart, and I still do today. And, I didn't need to be made aware of the reality of that old saying about not missing the water until the well runs dry. I already know all the things she does to contribute to our home and to my well being. I had to give myself some remedial training on the washing machine but I was able to get the clothes in along with some washing soap and then I messed with the dials until some lights came on and we were off and running. I haven't missed any meals since she has been away but I did have popcorn one evening for my supper. I do like me some popcorn but I would just as soon sit down to one of her home cooked meals, any day. Making the bed immediately after getting up seemed like a waste but since I had written about it earlier I decided it was something I should do. Why not do some of those things when she is here? Have I been meddling in your business? And, after all is said and done I would never, ever, want to deprive her of doing the things she enjoys. You see, that's another one of the ways I roll.

Thanks again for all the prayers for my mom. She is regaining her strength and it is such a blessing to be able to visit with her each day by phone. Looking in my calendar book tells me this has been another busy week. Just like yours. We are busy people. Go here. Go there. Take care of this. Take care of that. I would say we all need to occasionally stop and smell the roses but I doubt that too many of them have survived this heatwave. What? It's supposed to be a metaphorical statement? Good. You mean we should get off the treadmill long enough to catch our breath now and then? Good idea. And, let me just say that I am not really over engaged in the things I have going on. Some days are busier than others but I don't see myself as being overworked, that's for sure. But, I am thankful to have had these times of sharing each day and I pray that you will enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. I suppose, Lord willing, I'll catch up with you when you see that subject line in your email next Monday. Y'all take care now, you hear?   ....More later.

No comments: