Friday, July 12, 2013

"Age is just a number. It's totally irrelevant unless, of course, you happen to be a bottle of wine." ~ Joan Collins

How's it going? It can be tough slogging at times. Right? But, here's a bit of good news: It's Friday, and I welcome you to another of our visits here on this July 12, 2013. I recently read a list of annoying things that old people do that really irritate younger folks. I'll list them along with a few of my own choice comments. 1) You can’t tell the elderly anything. This is because us older folks think we've been there, done that, and pretty much we know everything there is to know. 2) Old people should not be allowed to shop for their own groceries. It seems that older folks at times are too slow for those who need to speed their way down the aisles. 3)  Old people and cars are a lethal combination. The driving thing again. By the way, the actual facts say that teenagers have four times the number of auto accidents compared to those over 65. 4) Old people think that just because they’re old they’re automatically interesting. I guess some just don't want to hear all our stories from the good old days. 5) Old people are always on the lookout for some misdemeanor to bring to the attention of the authorities. They think we are just a bunch of tattle tales and enjoy calling the police for every little thing. 6) The elderly are rude. Here they are saying we use the age card to get priority service or we demand recognition just because we are old.

I can't agree with all of these but I do see their point. I think my grandchildren may have demonstrated a few of them at times as I have waxed on and on regarding this subject or that. We can always do better I suppose. In the larger context we have a society that pretty much diminishes the experience and value from the older generation. Again, I'm not just saying that because of the white hair, it would be true, regardless of my age. All the computer models support attempts to influence the younger generation especially in terms of marketing of goods and services. They figure that the older folks are already pretty much set in their ways. I remind us all of that Bible Proverb that says: "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man; But the end thereof are the ways of death." (Proverbs 14:12) Rejecting the wisdom and experience of the older folks does not reflect the model for how life should be lived as given by the Creator of Life itself. That doesn't mean we who have earned the distinction of age have any right whatsoever to abuse our status. We too have to do our best to live up to God's way of living, each and every day. Trying to do that, with His help, will pretty much occupy most of anyone's time. Amen.

I will be quick to add that I feel very respected, most of the time. I suppose with those kinds of negative feelings out there I should be very thankful for that. And, I am. I also thank those of you for hanging in there with me each day as I do my blogging thing. With that I will put a end point for this week's bookings and see what might come up for our next visits together. I was impressed with the new head coach for the Boston Celtics. He's the fellow who led Butler University to the finals at the Division 1 NCAA title game a few years ago. I heard a reporter ask Brad Stevens if coaching in the NBA was one of his life long dreams. You know, the bucket list deal and all that stuff. He said not really. His only desire has always been to be the best he could be wherever he happened to be. I get that and it resonates with my way of looking at things as well. No wonder I liked what he said. I agree with it. Go figure. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I hope to see you again next week. May God bless us all is my prayer. Amen.      .....More later.

No comments: