Wednesday, February 1, 2012

You might just be one if you have ever thought a quarter horse to be one that sits out in front of Wal-Mart.

Okay. Because I love my wife, today I will not say anything at all about politics. If she is any indication, we sure have a lot of folks who would rather just change the channel forever and ever, Amen. Sadly, that will not solve any of our problems but true to my word I will try and stay away from the subject here in today's edition on this Wednesday, February 1, 2012. I have not watched any of the redneck reality shows. I did read where one of the women on the show was concerned about the way in which her family was portrayed. Hello? I hope she didn't think they put her redneck family on television in order to promote abandoned cars as yard ornaments. That same article said the ratings thus far were pretty good. And, that means more dollars from advertisers and eventually merchandise sales and all of that should help ease her embarrassment over what people might think. That reminded me that I haven't shared any redneck sayings lately. ~ "He fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down." ~ "Darlin.You’re hotter than doughnut grease at a fat man convention." ~ "Ain't no point in beatin' a dead horse...'course, can't hurt none either." ~ You might have some redneck in your family if you ever: "Kept a can of Raid on the kitchen table." ~ "You think that a turtleneck is what they use in making soup." ~ "You have a framed picture of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, or Elvis hanging over your fireplace." ~ "You have burned your yard to keep from mowing." ~ "You have ever given new mousetraps as Christmas gifts." ~ I admit some of those are pretty bad but it at least has nothing to do with that subject I'm not talking about today.

I also read the other day that the new series on the Weather Channel about Coast Guard rescues in Alaska has become a big hit. They have ordered up two more seasons. We say: Hooray. We love that show. We finally like a show that other people are watching. It only took about thirty years. I have a better understanding and have developed a profound respect for the folks they call Swimmers. These are the Coast Guard personnel that either jump or they are let down into the icy waters where the storm is brewing and folks are in distress. They've had some episodes that featured their training. Talk about some rough stuff! The terrain in Alaska is so beautiful including the lakes and waterways but it can be a most dangerous place as well, at times changing so quickly people are immediately put in harm's way. We also try to catch the Alaska State Trooper program on the National Geographic Channel. It is the standard cops type format but with Alaska being the backdrop, it has some amazing stories including the exploits of wild people and wild animals. No. We are not planning on moving to Alaska. That just happens to be the setting for these episodes that are well presented, making them interesting to us, as we see it. You might like watching reruns of 'My Three Sons', or 'The Rockford Files'. That I suppose is why most of us have at least 200 channels to choose from. That way we can have so much to not be interested in. I think I know what I just said but I will think about it some and let you know if I come up with something better.

We had a guest speaker last Sunday evening in our Bible study class. At the end I announced that we would not have a class next Sunday because it is an AWANA Children's Bible Club skip night. I also said that it happened to coincide with the Super Bowl. One of our very faithful men immediately spoke up and said he did not appreciate the fact that the Super Bowl would have any impact on scheduling services for our fellowship. He gave a very impassioned view of why he believed that having services would be a great way to show our honor for our Savior. I couldn't agree more. But, as I told him, that was something that began a few years ago and if I remember correctly it actually did happen at first by coincidence. After that, it more or less became a part of the schedule. Again, I totally agree with the points he made and I would be there, Lord willing, if we were to have our services. Some Churches do the party deal and show the game up on the big screen. We've tried that before. The fellows in the booth try to block out the inappropriate commercials but that has proven harder to do than one might think. I know it is a difficult decision in terms of trying to accommodate people's preferences but there are times when it just might be good to take a stand. As part of my dear friend's comments he said we need to always in every way possible show respect for the One who gave His life on The Cross for us. How could anyone argue with that? Something to think about. Have a great day and may God bless. Amen.     ....More later.

No comments: