Thursday, February 16, 2012

From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots. - Thomas Jefferson

Corporal Joseph D. Logan, USMC, killed in action.
Okay it is Thursday, February 16, 2012, and to tell you the truth, this minute by minute coverage of Whitney Houston is very much too much, at least that's the way I see it. I'm not taking anything away from this being a tragic outcome and a sad time for her family and friends. But, whether it is Michael Jackson, some big rapper who has been shot down in the street, or other so called famous people, do we have to wallow in every tiny detail? Sorry. We didn't watch one second of the Grammy Awards. We likely would not have recognized most of those who were honored. Many have pointed out that while we seem so preoccupied with the deaths of people like Whitney Houston, often those who wear the uniform of our nation who pay the ultimate price are not given the same respect and recognition. I'm glad to report there are still some that see the difference. Recently, a young Marine Corporal was returned for burial to his hometown of Willis, Texas. The day his remains arrived there was an outpouring of patriotic respect that would take anyone's breath away. From the airport to his final destination, nearly an hour away, there was an unbroken line of salutes, flags, banners, and people cheering for this man who volunteered to go and represent us all in a deadly conflict in a far away place. I saw the video, nearly a hour's worth and it renewed my sense that, at least in this area, people do still recognize honor and sacrifice. May God bless the memory of Corporal Joseph Logan, USMC, and may God bless those who are the true heroes of our day. Amen.

How has everything been going with you? I hear you. It has been a rough patch for the last couple of years here in our nation. We still have many people who are unemployed and even more that have jobs who consider themselves to be under-employed, and certainly struggling as they try to make it each day. My wife and I have been blessed to have jobs and I thank God daily for His provision. I don't take this for granted, rather, I pray for those in spheres of authority that they might make decisions that would help alleviate this burdensome load that so many are carrying. I've talked to so many who thought they were secure. They had worked hard. They had been loyal. They had focused on seeing the enterprise succeed. But, due to circumstances they could not see coming, they suddenly found themselves out looking for a job. This is tough regardless of your age, but, I can tell you, when you get to that AARP age of 50, it can seem almost insurmountable. You find yourself out there competing with those who are young and computer savvy, so young in fact, they could be your children or for some, even your grandchildren. I've seen that look in the eyes of someone who has accomplished so much in life, but saw it all go up in smoke, and now they are left to try and pick up the pieces. What can you say to help someone in this position? The only one I've found that makes any sense at all is to keep on keeping on in doing all you can to provide for yourself and your family while seeking God every step of the way. Some say, well, that's your answer for everything. Sorry. But, in my life, in all that I have experienced and observed, it's the only truth that has made sense: "Jesus is right for whatever is wrong in your life." Period. Amen.

The other thing I would advise is for everyone to try to keep a sense of humor because life, in so many ways,  is a funny thing. I suppose we all have to try and figure out whether we are the joke itself or just the punch line. The older I get, I find myself working overtime just to catalog all the funny stuff I end up being involved in. I was a Boy Scout as a kid, at least through the Tenderfoot rank. But I must have failed the map reading test because I sure can get lost pretty easily in the huge metroplex, even when I have printed off a map from the computer. This week I was having trouble finding a particular location and typically when that happens I go into recovery mode. That involves placing a call to my eldest son if he is available and at his computer. As it turned out I was on the right street. See, I surprised you, didn't I? But, as he pointed out, I was certainly headed in the wrong direction and wasn't even close to where I needed to go. His final words, "Dad, we have got to get you a GPS navigation device or there's no telling where you will end up one day." I've always been into exploration. Hey. As they used to say back home, "You might as well laugh as to cry." It was probably that mapping program. It must have printed the map upside down. Yeah. That's probably what happened. What's that you say? Maybe I was looking at it upside down? I'll stick with option A and hope he is sitting at his desk the next time I get lost, I mean, that is, the next time the computer map program sends me in the wrong direction. It would have been more funny had it not been raining hard and all those other people were going the wrong way too. Do your best to do what you can and leave the rest in God's hands. Amen.      ....More later.

No comments: