Monday, February 13, 2012

The evening news is where they begin with 'Good evening', and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

I well remember that tune, Monday Monday, by the Mamas and the Papas, but I recently read the lyrics from this 1966 hit and it actually surprised me. It tells of a woeful story about someone leaving someone and how that every Monday finds them crying about it. Man, I thought Monday was already rough enough just doing what it does. But, here's hoping that this Monday, February 13, 2012, will be one where we do a lot of smiling as opposed to dwelling on sad stuff. I still hear that tune in my head and for the life of me never knew that is what that song was all about. Well, I suppose the old saying is true, you do actually learn something new every day. I am a diabetic, type 2. This means any and everything coming out about this disease usually gets my attention. One of the drugs that has been developed in recent years is called Byetta. It was developed based on the saliva of the Gila Monster. No. I have not lost what little bit of my mind that I have left. It is 100% true. That drug is a synthetic version of a protein, exendin-4, derived from the Gila monster's saliva. There's probably a really good story behind how they decided to pursue that type of research. Can you imagine a chemist coming home one evening and being asked what he had done that day? "I was real busy analyzing and studying the spit from one of those Gila Monster lizards." I don't take that drug but you just have to love a story like that!

A lady signed off the telephone call by saying, "Okey dokey artichokey." I will admit I've not heard that one before. Someone said it must be country slang but I'm not sure what country they would be talking about. Where I came from I'm not sure anyone had heard of an artichoke, much less to use it in a piece of slang. When in doubt, Google it. I found out it is a favorite way of ending a conversation as used by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. That's good enough for me. I will now eliminate that one from any future use, even though I thought it was kind of cute when I first heard it. If the Mrs. Clinton uses it quite often, I'm more than willing to leave her and it alone. One of the sites advised that it should be used very infrequently for fear of looking like a big idiot. Did I say it was one of Mrs. Clinton's favorite slang expressions? Enough said on that subject. On that same urban dictionary site they had several variations that could be used and since maybe you have not yet learned something new for today, I thought I would share some of these with you: ~ okey dokey dickery do ~ okey dokey diet cokey ~ okey dokey pig in a pokey ~ okey smokey McSkiddly do. Wait just a minute. Don't get all riled up. I never promised this daily dialogue would be a competitor to Masterpiece Theater. That by the way is a PBS show imported from Britain and the BBC and it has nothing to do with barbecue sauce.

When you get older you can't help but think about how you might have done things differently. While we know there are very few do overs, it does help us to think about change in the here and now, since we can never go back. These are some comments from Erma Bombeck about her views on her life, made after she found out she had a fatal disease. "If I had my life to live over, I would have talked less and listened more. I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded. I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace. I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth. I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed. I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage. I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains. I would have cried and laughed less while watching television - and more while watching life. I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband. I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day. I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime. Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle. When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner." There would have been more "I love you's".. More "I'm sorrys" ... But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute... look at it and really see it ... live it...and never give it back." Not bad thoughts at all and very relevant for those of us who are still breathing air on the planet. For me, I would probably include much more of my time trying to live in a way that was pleasing to my Lord and Savior. Some good stuff for us all to ponder, here on this brand new Monday. May God bless. Amen.      ....More later.

No comments: