Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I’m so busy...I don’t know if I found a rope or lost my horse.

Hello and welcome once again to that place where keystrokes go to be cast into oblivion, or a facsimile there of, so to speak, if you know what I mean, on this Tuesday, January 31, 2012. It seems like just thirty days ago we were ushering in a new year. That's because it was a new year. Good. Thanks for reminding me. I would say I've not been myself lately but then you would want to know who I think I am and then that would get rather complicated, therefore, I will try to soldier on and work my way through these challenges. I'm only joking. I know exactly who I am and that's enough to keep anyone awake at night. But, how in the world are you doing these days? Are you mostly like the rest of us in that you find yourself so busy that you feel like you are constantly meeting yourself coming back? Or maybe you are so frazzled by it all that you feel like you have been pulled through a rat hole backwards. That's our so-called modern, busy life. I received a note from a dear brother in our Church on his way back from a mission trip to the Philippines. He said the people there in the remote areas have no concept of time and he believed that may be one of the reasons they seem to be so happy. Wait a minute. How could they be happy if they are not running around all day like a chicken with their head cut off? How dare them? They need some of our modern conveniences and our know how to make their lives easier, and better. Right? It just makes you wonder why we think we are so smart and everyone else is so dumb. Now, I know you know what I mean.

I suppose I will begin acting my age, someday. I was telling my wife the other day about how that I still show respect, courtesy, and deference towards the older people I meet. I do it without thinking. The other day at the store it happened several times. When I got out to my car it suddenly hit me. I'm as old or maybe even older than some of those folks I was trying to assist. My wife said I do this because I don't think old and I can't see myself that way. I don't want to end up one day like the little cub scout who got into trouble for helping the little old lady cross the street. Why did he get into trouble? Because the little old lady did not want to cross the street. Maybe I've read one too many articles about how that 70 is the new 60 in today's senior citizen world. That scale ratio would place me back in my late 50's, therefore, I suppose I should be showing respect for my elders. That's what I was taught to do when I was a child. I guess mom can be proud that something stuck with me. It does make me wonder if one day I will wake up and begin walking across the room like one of those Tim Conway bits where he is playing the old man. You know. Those stutter steps always cracked me up but they might not be so funny when that's all I can do. Joking only. I am thankful that I am as well as I am. Maybe the diabetes was a blessing. It made me change my way of living. Literally. And, that may be a contributing factor to why I'm not able to act my age. What's that? You think it is mostly mental? Well, I will tell you, I've often wondered about that myself.

I downloaded my updated tax software and I have begun working to see where we stand. By now most of us are aware of the secretary who works for the billionaire Warren Buffet. She has become a national figure because of the income tax rate she pays. She pays 35% and her boss pays less than half that rate. No one asked for them to make such a big deal over all of this but our President who is intent on creating a class war based on any and all things that make us different, he and his minions thought it would be good for his campaign. That's all well and good and she, the lowly secretary, did get to sit up in the First Lady's box during the State of the Union speech. But as with all things, here's the rub: Experts have attempted to understand how she could be paying that rate. Their conclusion is that she would have to be making between $300,000 to $500,000 per year. How many secretaries do you know that make that kind of money? Warren Buffet's money is taxed differently because his is mostly based on investment income. What is missed in all of this is to look at the entire chain where his money is made from the companies he has invested in. Often, there has been many taxes paid based on state, local, and federal rates. I'm not saying the tax code we have is anything other than insane but at the same time, you, I, and everyone should know all the facts before we knee jerk a response. Would I love to see the tax code simplified? You betcha! Until then, I am thankful for those who have made it a whole lot easier by writing software to assist in fulfilling my duty as a tax paying citizen. I'm in this better mood about it since my early look says that we might break even or get a little back this year. That hasn't happened in a while so I had better check it closely because it could be a mistake but until then I will enjoy this feeling that the proverbial sword of Damocles has been kicked up a notch, for now. Have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen.          .....More later.

No comments: