Monday, February 20, 2012

Did you hear what Obi-wan Kenobi said to young Luke Skywalker when he observed him having so much trouble using his chopsticks: "Use the FORK Luke, Use the FORK."

                                  ******************
We spent nearly all day Sunday in the emergency room with my sweet wife. She was experiencing some chest discomfort and heart palpitations, therefore, they admitted her overnight for observation. They have done numerous tests and do not think it to be her heart but have not ruled it out 100% and that's why they want to do a stress test today. I ask that you say a prayer for her in this situation, and for me, and for the staff since they will be dealing with yours truly. Just joking. They have all been wonderful thus far.
                                 ******************               
Hello my fellow Americans and any others who might happen to be trolling for blogs on this Monday, February 20, 2012, the official day set aside to honor President's Day. It is good to be able to send a cheery hello out to one and all. My wife can be really funny at times. She said all that stuff about me getting lost just gave her one more thing to worry about. She must be hurting for material. In addition, she remarked how odd it was that she had to learn these things while reading my blog. I can't do the voice inflections here in print but she was doing her best to indicate a small amount of agitation. In a good humored way, I suppose. After she said all of that I tried to make her feel a little better. I told her that if she thought that was a little scary she should have seen me trying to make a u-turn on that busy thoroughfare, which was complicated by those who didn't enjoy me having to back up a couple of times, but it did make for an exciting morning, and my little cheeks were glowing like lights on a Christmas tree, and I did finally make it to the place I was looking for, therefore, what's to worry about? She indicated how that addition to my story did not make her feel better about it all. Man, trying to please some people is hard. You do know what I mean. I know you do. I suppose I will be able to subtitle my memoirs, "A funny thing happened on my way to becoming a funny old man."

The Triple By-Pass Burger, A Taste 
Worth Dying For!
I guess it would have had to have happened, sooner or later. I read a blurb and then checked it out and according to Time Magazine it appears to be a legitimate story. A man in his forties collapsed and later died after eating a burger called the Triple Bypass at a restaurant appropriately named The Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas, Nevada. The slogan for the eatery: "A Taste Worth Dying For." You may have seen some of the promotional ads from this joint that have the wait staff dressed as nurses and medical technicians. They also have a standing offer to provide free meals to anyone who weighs at least 350 or more pounds. Wait until the food police get hold of this one! (I feel a big old lawsuit coming to a courtroom soon.) Speaking of the food police, I suppose you heard or read about the little kid whose lunch was taken away from them because it was not deemed to be healthy. It has been all over the news sources on the internet. It seems that a 4 year old in a preschool in North Carolina brought her lunch from home consisting of a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips and apple juice. Her lunch box was inspected and rejected as not meeting the nutrition standards set by the center. They gave her their idea of a good lunch instead and sent a bill home to her parents. What did they serve? Four chicken nuggets! Many have expressed alarm over this seemingly isolated incident and it calls attention to what is believed to be some of the provisions that we all will be dealing with as a part of Obamacare when it is fully implemented. The result in this case meant the four year old had only the chicken nuggets and nothing else all day because she refused to eat the so-called nutritional goodies they included on her tray. Her mom said she fixed what she knew her child would eat. Folks, is this kind of thing going to become a nightmare for us all, or what?

I'm not too fond of people abusing themselves through a variety of means and then becoming a burden for the rest of the nation to handle and support. However, when weighed against personal FREEDOM, that which makes us who we are, well, we have to keep that in mind, in all our laws, in all our rules, and in how we function as a people. I am also very aware of the slippery slope where some today loudly decry government overreach but tomorrow they might just find themselves standing in line for government sponsored support. I've seen it more than once up close and personal. Those who have preached personal responsibility and the elimination of all government handouts have had to swallow their pride and their words due to a collapse of their ability to make a living, or destruction at the hands of a weather event, or whatever. This makes us aware that we should always attempt to be balanced as we support our strongly held opinions. I'm thinking of one fellow who used to claim that everyone on unemployment should be kicked off the rolls and told to go and find a job. However, he himself ended up in a situation where he received the maximum payout of these same funds and to tell you the truth, I don't think I've heard him mention one more word about that subject. However, he has moved on to other things that easily could put him into the same situation. Yes. Stand up for what you believe in. Yes. We should promote personal responsibility from the cradle. Yes. It's okay to strongly defend our views. But, at the same time, our humility and realization that we too are not immune from the ups and downs of life will help us all to better frame our arguments. It's part of that loving God and loving others deal that we are commanded to do as believers. Okay. That should be enough for any Monday, therefore, I will say so long for now and Lord willing I'll catch up with you tomorrow. May God bless. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: