Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Be careful saying that Jesus is on your side.

My wife asked what was up with the onslaught of corny jokes. I told her that's what happens when I am doing my best to avoid talking about that subject I had previously agreed to avoid. Well, here we are, it's Tuesday, February 7, 2012, and I am going to have to call a time out on my agreement, at least long enough to address President Obama's recent use of our Savior to support his plan to increase taxes. When someone quotes from the Bible they do get my attention. After two tours through seminary classes, and more than 40 years of study and teaching, I do take seriously any and all things pertaining to the Word of God. He said that Jesus would support his plan to increase taxes on the rich and he quoted from this verse: "But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For to whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." (Luke 12:48) He, of course, only used the sentence in bold. The reason I am compelled to speak out on this has to do with the liberal mindset demonstrated in how our President views things. This verse is a call to him, personally, and to you, and to me. It is not a mandate for a worldly minded government to forcibly take from the citizenry in order to decide how it should be redistributed. It has to do with anyone who has been blessed with talent and treasures using them in a responsible way. I mentioned a few days ago how the Obamas' have little to show in tangible terms that indicates how they have put this verse into practice in sharing the tremendous wealth they have been blessed to enjoy. Outside of very minimum giving in terms of charitable endeavors, they have mostly given photo ops and lip service to what it means for someone to honor the weight of what Jesus was talking about. This is how liberals think. They want to use every one's funds to pursue their vision but for the most part they have little to show in terms of personal commitment of their personal resources. I am sick and tired of those who twist The Scriptures to try and sell their stuff. And, he has exactly the sum total of zero credibility as a Bible quoting person since he sat and listened to hate and venom spewing from the pulpit in the Church he attended for over twenty years. Hear me right on this. I fully support a taxation system that is fair, for everyone, but I also know that in the hands of fallen people, that's likely never to be achieved, especially by a government corrupted by its politically driven nature. Okay. I feel a little bit better and now I will return to the agreement we previously had, still in progress. You know the one. It's the one punctuated by the corny jokes.

She should be happy I never used some of the really bad ones. What's that? You actually are interested in the ones I didn't share? Okay, but don't blame me. ~ The Teddy Bear was dining in the restaurant and the waiter asked if he wanted dessert. His response, 'No thank you, I'm stuffed." ~ "A jumper cable walks into a bar and orders a drink. The bartender told him, "Okay, I'll serve you but don't try to start anything." ~ "An invisible man married an invisible woman. I've been told their children were nothing to look at either." ~ "Did you hear what the digital clock said to the grandmother clock? "Look ma, no hands." ~ "A lady walks into a building and tells the clerk, 'I'll have a cheeseburger with fries please.' The clerk replies, 'Lady, this is a library.' To which she whispers quietly, 'I'll have a cheeseburger with fries please.' ~ "Knock, knock. Who's there? Little old lady. Little old lady who? I didn't know you knew how to yodel." ~ "What did Tarzan say when he saw the elephants charging? He didn't say anything because he didn't recognize them. They were all wearing sunglasses." ~  Don't threaten me. I am only a reporter. I would guess the people who came up with these are living in a secret location with new identities. They are that bad!

I enjoyed watching the Super Bowl game in a sort of interested/dis-interested manner. I was pulling for the Giants for no good reason other than liking the Manning family story and not being a big fan of the dynamic duo of Brady and Belichick. I've never cared that much for Coach Coughlin but I will admit him being currently at 65, the oldest coach in the NFL did have some appeal to me. The game itself was intense. The defenses on both sides were bruisingly brutal. The commercials were nothing to write home about and at the end I felt good that the team I chose to support won, but I wasn't standing up and shouting or anything like that. I actually enjoyed following Tim Tebow last week as he was at Indianapolis for the game build up. The news media just can't seem to understand why it is that people like this young man. They reported how that he was one of if not the most popular athletes wherever he went and whatever he found himself doing. In one shot I saw of the big media center you could see Tim with a huge crowd waiting to get his autograph. A couple of desks down sat Joe Montana with very few folks in line. I saw Tim accept the 'Never Say Never' award at the NFL Honors ceremony. When he addressed the audience he first gave honor and glory to his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The audience did something pretty strange. They applauded. He then gave credit to his coaching staff and teammates. Finally, he commented how that it had been a great evening and when you can see Alec Baldwin go down on one knee and pray, well, while it was a parody of Tim's famous bowing, Tim said it was worth coming to see. Good testimony and hopefully he will be, with God's help, a good role model for younger athletes for years to come. And, I will say a prayer for him that God will use him in mighty way. Amen. Have a great Tuesday and I'll see you next time.       ...More later.

No comments: