Thursday, February 2, 2012

The attitude of Congress toward hidden taxes is not to do away with them, but to hide them better.

Welcome to Thursday, February 2, 2011 where I am proud to announce that I have finished my taxes. This is the first time in years that we didn't wait until the middle of April. I had increased my deductions some last year with a target of being close to a break even outcome. We were very close with just a small amount due back to us. I was able to do all of this sitting at my desk at home. I used the TaxAct software but there are any number available to assist in this process. My filing is about seven pages and it is impressive how far these software tools have come. Since I've used this one for a number of years I was able to input last year as a starting point. I then only had to change the amounts and add any new inputs. Once the basic return is input then a number of checking routines are executed as well as a line by line comparison for the past two years. I suppose from the time I downloaded the new software until the time that I sent in my return electronically, I probably used up a little over two hours of my time. They predict that a small deposit will be coming to our bank in about seven days. I've done my own taxes for all but a couple of years and I well remember some of those all day sessions spent beating my head against the wall trying to get everything compiled and ready to file. Yes, I am also aware of the risks associated with doing transactions online in real time but I see the risk-reward here as being very much in favor of doing it this way. And, I no longer hear the wife telling the children, "Don't talk to daddy right now, he's getting ready to be in a bad mood because he's preparing our tax return." Too bad it came twenty years after they left home. And, you are right, the fact that I didn't have to send a check also helps!

Tax return finished, filed electronically. My wife's Medicare application that will take affect later this year, filed electronically. My wife's retirement application completed, filed electronically. I still have to add her to the Medicare supplemental and that will also be filed electronically. Now I am not going to try and be mean but may I just say that trying to get these things done either over the telephone or by going to a field location, well, if you have ever tried, it's no wonder people are being driven to doing it all online! It's not that the people are discourteous but it's the process and the system they use and the built in delays and the frustrations. I well remember going to get my driver's license renewed. It was required to get a new photo. (I must remember to do this again in 2014. Note to self: Order up some anti-depressants before going to that renewal place.) I showed up and hit the jackpot. No one was there. Hallelujah! I walked over to the booth where the lady was at her computer. She told me that I should go back behind the red line and wait until my number is called. Hello? "There's no one here, madam." She started calling out numbers. I ran back over to the number machine, grabbed one, and waited until mine came up. Lucky me. I talk to mom and dad every day. They are not able to do these things on a computer and I know how much of their time is spent trying to get a call back or to get a question answered. Sure, I would love person to person communication but when the system is so cumbersome, and, oh by the way, you don't always get correct information, it's no wonder people are finding out how to use anything, including the computer and the internet to get their business done. Again, the risks are there but taken within the context of doing it some other way, I'll take all the precautions that are prudent but will continue to do all I can electronically. I sure hope I don't have a bad dream tonight about that incident up at the renewal joint.

Okay. You have to know that I do tend to embellish things. Surprised? I bet you are not surprised. Take for instance the feral cats. They are here but they are probably not as bad as I make them out to be. Some have made suggestions about how to reduce their population, but I believe someone has worked on that problem because there are fewer now than before. I am not a cat lover. Sorry. If you are. Good for you. I'm not. I do not like for them to stare at me but I am aware that this is what cats do. Some of my stories tend to be a little over the top. And, they likely do get more so with time and the retelling of them. Any exaggerations that I use are done so for either making a point or in my attempt to bring a laugh or smile. Some don't need any help at all because that is how it actually happened. I've said all along that some of the funny things we encounter in life are there for our enjoyment, if we are tuned in and seeing them for what they are worth. However, if our intention is to be glum about it all, then we become less because of it. There are times to be serious and, yes, these are serious times we are living in. In the Bible study I teach on Sunday mornings and the one I lead on Wednesday evenings, we deal with verse by verse study. We are very serious about our study. But, we also enjoy our time together. That's right. We are able to laugh out loud if the situation calls for it, and I think we all are better off for it. Often, my illustrations that typically poke fun at myself becomes the basis for a good laugh. Balance is key. But without a smile or a laugh, life would be pretty sad. I'm thankful that I've got plenty of material because I don't have to go far to find something funny about yours truly. Try it out on yourself. Who knows? There may be more to laugh about than you thought! May God bless until we meet again. Amen.  .....More later.

No comments: