Friday, February 10, 2012

Without my morning coffee I'm just like a dried up piece of roast goat. ~Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750) The Coffee Cantata

That would be correct my friend. It is Friday, February 10, 2012, and that whirring sound we are hearing is the sound of time getting away from us. You never know what might happen to your stuff when it gets sent all over the world wide web. The little ditty I did the other day on one of my favorite subjects, coffee, garnered this response in the comments section from a reader, out there somewhere: "Dear Sir, I stumbled on your Blog by accident and could not stop reading. I should be studying but I thought to myself that I will go to bed a hour later tonight to catch up, as your blog is good reading material. I must admit that I do enjoy your blog very much. I just want to let you know that you are not alone and that I share your sentiment on that rich aromatic, full bodied beverage which we so fondly refer to as coffee. I am "slightly" addicted to it. Maybe the word "slightly" is an understatement, but I always believe to be modest than to brag about my addiction. After all, an addiction is not something that we are suppose to brag about. I even take my own coffee to university as I became very "touchy" about the quality of my coffee. Trust me, if I say that not even a military cook can manage to make worse coffee than our cafeteria at university, and then they expect one to actually pay money for it. Ha, you only trick me once. I have to go as the last bit of coffee just ran down my throat and I need to refill my mug before I start again revising for tomorrow. God Bless and may God's hand protect you and your family that you may share thousands mugs of coffee together. February 7, 2012 2:18 AM." Pretty neat, don't you think? I also received a another note from one of my coffee loving buddies and he said he had sent that particular blog to a number of his associates that seriously enjoy their cup of Joe. Here's a quote for you carry with you as you go your way today: "The morning cup of coffee has an exhilaration about it which the cheering influence of the afternoon or evening cup of tea cannot be expected to reproduce.~Oliver Wendall Holmes."

That concept of "I stumbled upon" is one that helps define how life is actually lived. Or maybe the "I just happened to be" is another one of those that make each day interesting. This week I just happened to be in a confined space with two interesting fellows. One was from France and the other was a young man originally from Mexico. I was actually transporting them to a customer site to oversee them doing some follow up work. The fellow from France brought up the subject of religion. As my wife would say, "He obviously had no idea who he was riding with." He had been raised Catholic but while in the French Foreign Legion he converted to Islam. I listened to his story intently and asked a few probing questions here and there. He was passionate about his reason for embracing the Koran. Then it was my turn. I was able to share with him why I believe The Bible, why I believe in Jesus as not only the Son of God, but as God the Son. I shared with him the words of our Savior when he announced that He and He alone is the way, the truth, and the life, making it clear that no one can come to the Father except through Him, the Son. (John Chapter 14) The young Hispanic fellow was mesmerized as the ping pong comments went forth and back. It was cordial but clear and it was quite a ride, I must say. Now I ask that you join me in praying that God will use the seeds planted to work in this man's life. That's right folks. I know that he was taking it in and I know he appreciated me taking the time to share my thoughts on The Truth. It was one of those "I just happened to be" moments and I thank God for the opportunity. Amen.

We just never know what a day might bring but it helps us if we follow this admonition: "...always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;..", 1st Peter, Chapter 3, Verse 15. Sometimes we neglect the meekness and fear part. That's where we show respect and humility as opposed to breathing out fire and brimstone or beating someone over the head with our Bible. This doesn't mean we soft peddle the truth, but it does mean we share truth with love and compassion. One of the things that everyone detests, including us all, is to try and deal with someone who looks down on us indicating a superior or arrogant spirit. I just threw that in because to tell you the truth, it took quite a bit of patience for me to hear that fellow out as he went on and on. But, since I was willing to listen to him, he, in turn, was willing to listen to me. That was my first time to deal directly with someone who had embraced Islam and it was pretty exciting to have that dialogue and to be able to share Christ. Now, it is on to today's agenda where we will all have our "I stumbled upon" or "I just happened to be" moments. Have a wonderful Saturday and then go and enjoy gathering with other believers down at the meeting place on Lord's Day Sunday. Why do I say that each Friday? Because based on my experience it really will 'do a body good'. Y'all take care now. You hear? May God bless each one. Amen.       .....More later.

No comments: