Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Forget health food. I need all the preservatives I can get!

Okey-dokey. Made it to that middle of the week, here on Wednesday and we discover it is February 8, 2012. Thanks for tuning in to today's episode where you find me once again working without a net, without a script, and mostly, without a clue. Don't you just love it when things are said mostly to be the way they are because of the aging process? The longer I hang around, it is the more I hear this kind of stuff. Like the old Hee Haw joke, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." Doctor: "Well, stop doing that, and remember it is just part of the aging process." Give me a break. I've read there are some doctors who refuse to give this as an excuse to their patients. We all should be so lucky. How about this one? "That sounds just about right.....FOR A PERSON YOUR AGE." Makes me want to lay down on the floor and holler out, "I've fallen and I can't get up." Not really. I know what you are thinking. The fact that I am writing about this is only because the shoe fits, and it only proves that these remarks are consistent with the aging process. I Googled up some responses to this fill in the blank: "I'm not getting older, I'm......." Getting better at denial. ~ Getting more discounts. ~ Getting bitter. ~ Getting more forgetful. ~ Getting busier. ~ Getting poorer. ~ Just getting. ~ Becoming more complex. ~ Progressing through LIFE. ~ I've always tended to treat these kind of things in a blended approach, therefore, I'm most likely a little of 'all of the above'. But, does that mean we have to be reminded of it, every single day? I will tell you that some folks may worry about using up trees but the people who sell Medicare related insurance products, they don't. I probably received at least a three foot stack last year, and now my wife is up to bat and every single day the mailbox is leaning from the weight of new stacks of materials. The person who said they were not getting older just more complex may have been on to something. That's what I'm thinking. I'm getting one. That is, a complex.

Don't get me wrong. I am very thankful for the ability to have mobility, to be able to get up and go each day. Casey Stengel, the great baseball manager, was quoted as saying: "A lot of people my age are dead at the present moment." Another old joke says that any day above ground is a good day. This tells us that while we are still able to breathe air here on the planet, God is not finished with us yet. In my case, like the song that children sing, 'He's still working on me'. I remember that passage from Jeremiah Chapter 18 about the Potter and the pottery wheel. The Master Potter uses His hands and His instruments to shape, mold, and yes, at times, to remake that clay into what He envisions it to be. No wonder I'm still here. In Ephesians Chapter 2, we read these words: "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God before prepared that we should walk in them." Dr. Charles Stanley says this verse means that the Lord God of heaven is working to make us into an object of notable excellence. When it comes to me, I suppose I should be very happy that our God never sleeps or slumbers, because I've got a long way to go. You know. Diamond in the rough because of His grace alone, with a whole lot of chipping and polishing still needed to reflect back the glory and honor He deserves. And, those truths may be related to the aging process because wisdom, while not limited to age, certainly does often accompany it. Something for us all, regardless of our age, to think about. Amen.

I was looking at some of the newest bumper stickers that are intended to bring a smile. There's plenty out there that are crude and offensive but some are pretty funny. Like: ~ Adults are just Kids with money. ~ As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in schools. ~ Consciousness: That annoying time between naps. ~ Don't believe everything you think. ~ God must really love stupid people, He made so many of them. ~ Follow your dreams, except for the one where you are at school in your underwear. ~ News Flash: Humpty Dumpty was pushed! ~ I could use some happy right now. ~ I'd work from home but I would miss my daily dose of ROAD RAGE! ~ I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much. ~ I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing. ~ Sing it, bad boy! But please roll up the windows. ~ I'll save some of the others for another day and at this time I will close out today's cornucopia of confusion. About the only thing I can be certain of would be The Scriptures I used earlier. Since they are breathed out by the Lord God Himself, we can always stake our everything on them because of Him. Have a great Wednesday and Lord willing I will be serving up some yet to be known or revealed stuff for our next session together. May God bless. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: