Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I always wanted to be somebody, but I suppose I should have been more specific.

Hello and welcome to Wednesday, February 15, 2012. The last sentence in yesterday's blog was bungled up pretty badly. It was supposed to have said that our day would be crowned by us all experiencing the love of God. Not a bad thought but somehow when you fling in the word crowed instead of crowned, well, it just doesn't communicate exactly what I had in mind. When I was in a huge conference meeting room once, out in San Diego, we experienced a medium sized earthquake. Pretty scary stuff. The speaker tried to gain control over the panicked crowd by saying, "I bet you think I didn't plan this to happen." And, I suppose I could have said I rewrote that sentence hurriedly, which I did, but didn't do a final proof reading of it like I usually do before I send it out, because that would have been exactly the truth. I certainly never plan on the mistakes that end up in my stuff and I also know that I take it more seriously than most people. Why? Now, that my friend is a good question. I suppose I take myself a little too seriously when it comes to the stuff I write. But, I know there are miscues along the way and while I hate to admit it I am capable of messing things up. Okay. I said it. Now I feel ever so slightly better. I'm glad I didn't accidentally use the word 'bitter' or you would think I have even greater problems than those you already know about.

I read where the financial losses at the US Postal Service continue to escalate with more than 3 billion dollars in red ink for the last quarter of last year. Wow! That included Christmas. Sounds like they are copying the habits of our government! The other day I saw on someone's list of their most satisfying simple pleasures in life a mention of them actually receiving a real personal letter from a real person in the mail. Outside of Christmas cards I'm trying to think when the last real personal letter I received. Remember all that stuff I wrote about how we are doing nearly everything online? That pretty much tells the tale when it comes to the post office. As a young teenager, away from home in Florida for the summer, I can remember asking my uncle each day if I had received a letter from the one I loved. That became a joke around the shop and pretty soon all the guys were asking if I had received my love letter. Nowadays, it's a handful of keystrokes, grab an image or two, and it will be in their inbox within seconds. I suppose that saves all the smelling the guys in the shop used to do of the letters I did get. Or better yet, just get them on their video interface and visit with them in real time, person to person, regardless of where you are. I know we've all had those unpleasant experiences of fighting long lines in trying to get stuff done at a local post office. It can be frustrating and that's why they have become the symbol of government inefficiency. Kind of like those fellows I grew up watching work on the roads in our rural area. They very much lived up to the sign they carried with them: Slow Men Working. But, in the end, it is still sad in some ways to see an institution like the Postal Service being phased out. We found some very old letters the other day and my wife asked me why I had mailed them to her airmail when they likely never got onto an airplane. Because I wanted her to know just how urgent my love for her was, or something like that. Or, maybe that was the only stamps they had that day. Who knows? It was a very long time ago!

Maybe you and I need to prepare a list of our most satisfying simple pleasures. How about sleeping in on a Saturday morning with a steady rain falling outside your window? For my wife it would be driving up to the mega mart just in time to get a parking space close to the front door. Maybe it would be coming home from work, walking into the kitchen and being knocked down by the aromas of a home cooked meal, one that reminds you of those you grew up eating. I do love that one. You knew I would have to include this one: That first taste of Community early in the morning. I may have moved from simple pleasures to outright blessings. For us older folks we can think about time spent with our children, grandchildren, and great grands. Some like to mention the pleasure of finding cash in some old jeans or a jacket but since I can't remember doing that, I'll have to pass on that one. Big one for me: Remembering old times, people, places, and those who have greatly influenced and impacted my life. Dreaming. Yep. Still do quite a bit of that. It's a rather old habit. I used to get into all kinds of trouble in grade school where I was accused of being a serial day dreamer. (I'm pretty sure they never used the word 'serial' but I thought it fit the context so I threw it into the mix.) Guilty as charged. Day, night, and everything in between. You would be surprised at the places I've been, the people I have seen, and the events I have been able to experience. A lifetime pursuit. But, this isn't an episode of True Confessions, it's a reminder that we all can take the time to recognize and relish the simple things in life that God has allowed us to enjoy. Have a great Wednesday and Lord willing I'll see you next time. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: