Thursday, October 13, 2011

If you all don't straighten up, I will give you something that you will not soon remember!

Okay. Please. No more cards and letters about yesterday's bad jokes. Joking only. That's right. That's how it used to be done. Cards and letters. Now it's emails, tweets, and text or video messages. At any rate, I did try out a couple of those bad jokes on some folks and they actually laughed. What's that you say? Them laughing is actually worse than the jokes themselves? To each his or her own. Notice how I included everyone. But, putting all kidding aside, it is good to visit here at the farm where I raise blogs and it is where we once again find ourselves on this Thursday, October 13, 2011. There were actually some little stories that were worse than those I shared. You dare me to share one of those? Okay. Close the blinds and pull down the shades. I won't tell anyone that you read this one if you don't tell anyone that I shared it: "These two green beans were crossing the highway when one of them was hit by a large truck. His buddy scrapes him up and rushes him to the hospital. After hours of surgery the doctor comes in and says "I have good news and bad news." The green bean starts to rejoice and the doctor says, "The good news is that he's going to live." "The bad news is he'll be a vegetable for the rest of his life." Don't make me unleash the others that are chomping at the bit to be read.

I wasn't able to make the inner city Bible club meeting last week, but, I did show up this past Tuesday evening. If you have never been swarmed by a bunch of kids who love and appreciate you, well, it wouldn't be a bad thing to check out. They were actually that glad to see me. What a blessing. Of course the Santa disguise that I wear these days give them all something to enjoy. In addition to our regular club we have a junior group for the preschoolers and it's not a bad evening to have ten of them all wanting to touch and show you some love. So that's why I have been going all of these years? It is a part of the reason since being there and them knowing that I care does have an impact on their developing lives. The lesson this week was on the power of words in how they can build up or tear down. They were given some insight into God's plan for His own to use wholesome words to build each other up. The even better news. When we gather to share verses from God's Word with these kids, God also shows up, and He works in all our lives, and that, my friend, is what it's really all about. Ninety minutes of escape from the hopelessness that surrounds so many of these children's daily lives to be replaced by some good old fashioned fun and games, along with the life changing message of hope that can only be found in the Lord Jesus Christ. Tuesdays can be long days, and yes, I come back tired, but typically, it is about as good a tired as you will find and I thank God for that, and for the fact that I usually don't need to be rocked to sleep. Amen.

My wife is leaving me again. You are not surprised? She is going over to Louisiana where she and her sister will join up to go and visit their eldest brother. Their brother Cleon is a remarkable fellow. Unassuming, quiet, but to those of us who know him, he is a family hero. He embodies the entirety of what it means to live by the slogan, "My word is my bond." I should know. I've known him for a long time. Nearly fifty years. He can be counted on. He is fiercely loyal to his family, his extended family, and to his neighbors. He is a man of the land, born on a farm. At one time he operated a pretty good sized business based in the fertile soil of Northeast Louisiana, featuring cotton and soy beans. He also was a rural route mail carrier. He was beloved by the folks on his route. Many of them were elderly and shut in and they could sense that Cleon cared. There's just something about many of the folks who were raised to farm the land that does reflect the genuine values that have made our country what it is. Cleon doesn't like to drive in big city environments but several years ago he came a number of times to our metro area to help a neighbor get cancer treatments. There's no mystery to me why he was selected to serve in the intelligence section when he was in the US Army. He still maintains his oath of secrecy about his work. And, perhaps a more fitting tribute from me would be the fact that Cleon in many ways reminds me some of the kind of man my Paw Paw Mac was. Same bolt of cloth. We do need men, women, boys, and girls who carry more than words, we need those who live out the spirit of what it means to support and serve others. I do hope they have a great time, and yes, it's okay to pray for me because you all know it's risky for me to be home alone. Have a great Thursday and may God bless one and all. Amen.      .....More later.

No comments: