Thursday, September 15, 2011

You know you're old if they have discontinued your blood type. PHYLLIS DILLER

Good Thursday morning. It's September 15, 2011. I do find more and more that the number one source for laughter in my sphere is none other than yours truly. I must be one of the most forgetful people I know. Just the other day I came up to a door, saw my reflection and immediately stepped to the side so I could open the door for that elderly gentleman. Duh! It was little ole me! The sight alone was enough to throw me off track. See what I mean? I know that I will eventually get used to being a full fledged member of the club but right now I have trouble seeing myself in that distinguished group of older folks. Even when folks do show particular respect and recognition for my age, it is foreign to me to the extent I initially wonder why they are being so nice, and then it dawns on me, it's because of the white hair. Oh my! I'm not saying it happens all the time because our society pretty much erased that part about respect for elders, however, there are some out there who buck that trend and while I appreciate it very much, surely there are others that are more deserving. You know. Those old folks that are more aware of their position in life. Perhaps in my case, ignorance, while not bliss, it may be the only thing keeping me from showing my Medicare card to anyone willing to look at it. Excuse me while I pull my pants up under my chin as I practice for that time when it will become habit. Just joking. You can laugh. It is permitted on this blog.

I give you my permission to laugh at my antics because, brothers and sisters, you have not even heard much of a sampling but I'll save the really good stuff for my memoirs. And, while we joke about the medicinal value of laughter, it is an established fact that a laugh a day does help our bodies, therefore, I suppose there is some merit to the adage that it will keep the doctor away. Some have said good hearty laughter increases blood flow as much as a 20 minute walk. Here's a little story that I thought was funny. "A Polish man moved to the USA and married an American girl. Although his English was far from perfect, they got along very well until one day he rushed into a lawyer's office and asked him if he could arrange a divorce for him. The lawyer said that getting a divorce would depend on the circumstances, and asked him the following questions: Have you any grounds? Yes, an acre and half and nice little home. No, I mean what is the foundation of this case? It made of concrete. I don't think you understand. Does either of you have a real grudge? No, we have carport, and not need one. I mean. What are your relations like? All my relations still in Poland. Is there any infidelity in your marriage? We have hi-fidelity stereo and good DVD player. Does your wife beat you up? No, I always up before her. Why do you want this divorce? She going to kill me. What makes you think that? I got proof. What kind of proof? She going to poison me. She buy a bottle at drugstore and put on shelf in bathroom. I can read, and it say: 'Polish Remover'."

It beats listening to the news. Right? That's the program where they always say good evening and then for the next 30 minutes they tell us why it isn't good at all. But, I watch it anyway because I want to know even if it is a little depressing from time to time. I watched the entirety of the Republican debate Monday evening, 2 hours, except for the 30 minute nap I grabbed midway through one of the long answers. That's the one thing age has brought to me. The ability to nap. I've never been much of a napper. I well remember how funny it was to watch Paw Paw Mac dozing in his rocker. Now, my grand kids get to enjoy watching their Poppy snooze a little here and there. Oh but I was not really sleeping, I tell them, just resting my eyes. Then a voice is heard from the kitchen, "Poppy, don't be teaching them to lie. You were sleeping and they all know it!" The five o'clock news is not the only source of getting it straight. But, we also all have a good laugh. I tell them I wish they wouldn't be so noisy when they doze off and they all protest and point the finger at me. Now Paw Paw did not like it when we laughed at him but so far I get a big kick out of them having fun, at my expense. I stress the so far, because that is subject to change, if you know what I mean. If none of this brings a smile then commit to finding something about today that you can laugh about. It will do a body good. Amen.     ....More later.

No comments: