Thursday, September 22, 2011

I know. It does sound like a one track song. But it's the one I believe I need to be singing!

It's Thursday, September 22, 2011 and just so you know it's only 93 shopping days until Christmas. You should also be aware that Mr. Fact Checker here did not fact check that number. I took it from one of those countdown websites but it looks to be in the ballpark. Being in the ballpark this many days out is okay because at this point and time it is still only a coming attraction. I know most folks would rather not think about the holiday season with all the gloom and doom that defines our news today. However, for those of us who are directly connected, Santa Inc., etc., we have to pay a little more attention as we fill in our scheduled appearances. Speaking of the news, the issues involving Israel and the so-called Palestinians is definitely heating up. Reading articles about this situation, the United Nations involvement, and the way in which nations are aligning themselves, wow, it's almost like reading directly from some of the prophetic passages in the Bible! I believe what the Bible says about the lands that were deeded to Abraham's descendants. I believe in the Creator who has ownership of the earth. I also believe the day is coming when all those borders found in the Scriptures will be occupied by God's chosen people, the Jews. The land in dispute today is a mere fraction of that laid out in our Bible, therefore, these unsettling times where the majority of the world's governments increasingly are hostile towards Israel is also a part of God's plan and purpose being played out before our very eyes. The inspired New Testament historian, Luke, put it this way: "But when these things begin to come to pass, look up, and lift up your heads; because your redemption draweth nigh." (Luke 21:28)

What's that you say? Things like this is the reason you never watch the news. We are just over 312 million citizens and if you look at the total viewing numbers for news related programming, it is a fairly small slice who actually do try to keep up with what's going on. Here's my concern. There are those out there who will take advantage of the majority who choose to stick their head in the sand. Politicians will, for sure. Unscrupulous business people will also. Therefore, just like in the olden days, we need watchmen on the wall keeping an eye on those who would mount an attack against us. I am pleased that all three of my boys stay pretty much tuned in when it comes to current events, political matters, and other related stories. I'm often told that it is just all too depressing. Much of it is, but hiding from reality will not make it go away and depending on someone else to keep up with things for you, well, that can become a serious flaw as well. After having seen the President's recent speech to the joint session of the Congress, I can well understand why they were nervous about being up against the NFL opener. His speech garnered fairly low ratings but the NFL game set a record for opening night. Being up against football did show us one thing. The President's teleprompter can be forced to shorten its remarks when necessity demands it. For this we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief!

Some of you think I am being too hard on our President? I may have turned the burner up a notch or two but it is only in response to him and his people. They have said they are no longer going to play nice because that time has passed. They are now going to play hardball. The Gallup folks said this week that less than 40% of those polled are impressed with how the President is doing his job. That leaves 60%. Where I come from 60 has always been much larger than less than 40. No wonder they are doubling down and trying to get tough. Even their far left wing base is beginning to waver. This last episode of trying to ignite a class war has not been received well in any quarters, left, right, or the middle, especially those in the middle! Folks see it for what it is. Therefore, since they have announced that the gloves have come off and it's bare knuckle time, well, I will have to become a little more agitated in my responses. I care about what happens to our country. I am well aware there are excesses on all sides. But, there is a core belief system that has brought God's blessings upon our land, and I pray that we will find that place, and run to it, just like that verse from the Old Testament that has been turned into a song, "The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe." (Proverbs 18:10) That would be the place to run and hide and it is so much better than hiding our heads in the sand. May God bless each one and may God bless our nation. Amen.                ......More later.

No comments: