Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The fall picture on my calendar doesn't match anything around here.

Woke up this morning feeling fine, woke up with heaven on my mind. That's how the gospel song puts it, and while I didn't wake up that way myself, it's not a bad thought because for those who have placed their trust in God's Son, well, heaven is a whole lot more real than some of the so called tangible things we seek after here in this life. But I did wake up and it is good to know that I was able to roll out of bed and get my stuff together and show up here at the old keyboard on this Wednesday, September 28, 2011. I will admit that I'm still a daydreamer. That used to get me into such trouble when I was a kid in grade school. They used to call it grade school back in the day. Now we have Google to help facilitate our daydreaming. Like yesterday when it was so hot I Googled up the world's temperatures and spotted a 37 in Scotland. I remember being in that same area many years ago and how wonderful that misty penetrating cold felt. I know that particular dream doesn't do much for those who are cold natured. My wife typically takes a sweater or jacket when we go out to eat. If I precede her to my reward then she will likely be able to operate with very little air conditioning and that will save tons on the light bill. That's what they used to call it back home. The light bill. But, that little visit to Scotland gave me some mental relief as I envisioned that wind in my face. Not your cup of tea? Google yourself up some steamy tropical weather and knock yourself out!

I suppose we are living in a time when most folks are sick and tired. Some echo the famous line, sick and tired of being sick and tired. Others use it as a fill in the blank line. Some I found out on the web included: Sick and tired of being broke. Sick and tired of being pregnant. Sick and tired of being a quitter. Sick and tired of being in and out of prison. Sick and tired of being sick. Sick and tired of being treated wrong. Sick and tired of being fat. Sick and tired of being tired. Sick and tired of being called lazy. Sick and tired of being passed over. Sick and tired of being ignored. And, the list goes on, and on, and on. There is a striking amount of 'me' involved in this sick and tired orientation that can easily become disabling in and of itself. We often hear sermons about how that life in God's economy is not about you or me, it's about honoring God and serving others. However, at times it seems that we focus so much on it not being about ourselves that we end up talking mostly about ourselves and how it is not about ourselves. In fact, I'm sick and tired of hearing about how that it is not about me. Just joking. There are times when we all feel isolated and alone but God would have us to know that as His own dear child, we are never alone, and we do have hope, and He will never leave us, and He will never forsake us. That gives us the basis upon which we can focus our thoughts and energy on serving Him by serving others. Someone needed to hear that today. You what? You thought it might be me? Okay. I can live with that because Lord knows how much I need to be reminded of what He would have me to do, every moment of the day. Amen.

I know some folks think I might be a little smirky when I tell them I never know what to expect when this blog thing is being written. I'm sorry but I do think this is one of the things that causes me to get such a big kick out of doing them each day. Sure. There are times when I have a particular subject in mind or some event causes me to write something but there are other times when I give freelance a whole new perspective. It's not as if I don't think about it because you might be surprised how often they get changed. Like the other day I had this great story that was so funny but it kept bothering me that someone might misunderstand it, therefore, I came in the next morning and swapped it out for the one about the man trying to make his wife feel 6 again on her birthday. I mention that only to tell you that I do care what people think about what I write. Obviously, much of it is opinion oriented, therefore, I understand that some will take issue with my points of view. That doesn't bother me too much since that's the beauty of the freedoms we enjoy. However, I never want to use any material that needlessly denigrates are crosses the line in terms of propriety, or as they used to say back home, use only that which is appropriate for mixed company. I'm not sure us guys growing up always lived up to that one. But that would be a story that would likely never make it to the electronic page. You do know what I mean. Right, Vern? Have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen.             ......More later.

No comments: