Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Philippians 4:7: "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Hello to one and all on this Tuesday, September 20, 2011. Confession time. Yesterday I came loaded and ready to write another scathing assessment of the woeful weather forecasting here in our area. You know the one where I go off on those big percent rain projections that end up bringing in nothing. I was ready. But I changed my mind faster than I might have believed. What brought on this sudden change in direction? It was that prediction being played out on my windshield, that's what! But don't think that I am ready to cut the local weather prognosticators any slack, I'll just save it for another day, but not a rainy day, just another day, we want to keep as many of those rainy days as we can. Yes. I am well aware there are places in our nation, even as I write this blog, who are praying for rain to stop, for rivers and creeks to subside, so they can deal with the aftermath from the flooding they have experienced. That pretty much reflects the condition we all share. The human condition. Words from a Gospel song we used to sing comes to mind. "Someone will get a blessing as promised by the Lord, Someone will then rejoice and happy be; Someone will be heart broken and crying mournfully,  Maybe its you, and then maybe its me,  Maybe its you, and then maybe its me; who'll be the next to face eternity? When the day has come and gone, He will call somebody home, maybe its you and then maybe its me. Someone will be in sorrow and tears will start to fall, No comfort, peace nor happiness they’ll see, Some one will have their troubles, be filled with misery,  Maybe its you, and maybe its me, Maybe its you, and maybe its me, Who’ll be the next to face eternity, When the day has come and gone,  He will take somebody home. Maybe its you, and then maybe it's me. Someone will die tomorrow, as many have today, This life is so uncertain, we can see, Someone the call will answer, we know not who ‘twill be,  Maybe its you, and maybe its me, Maybe its you, and maybe its me Who’ll be the next to face eternity When the day has come and gone  He will take somebody home. Maybe its you and then maybe its me." The good news? We are in His hands and the Apostle Peter said that we should cast all our cares upon Him because He cares for us. Amen.  ( See 1st Peter Chapter 5, Verse 7)

Speaking of songs, they were playing some at our house on Sunday that we love dearly. It's the sound of children laughing. And, running, playing, and having a great time. It's the sound of the ladies chattering and the guys giving their commentaries on the football game on TV. The sound of teenaged girls giggling mixed in with the beeps from the guy's playing their computer games. To us, it's the sound of love. The sound of family. And, yes, getting ready for and having a great time together can be exhausting, especially for us older dudes, but, in the end, we sit back and relive the sights and sounds that God has privileged us to be a part of. I told someone at our local Church meeting Sunday evening that our house looked like it had been run over by a freight train, but we were happy that it did. Family. Family matters. Diversity. You betcha! Differing views, differing problems, but we are bound together by the bond of love. We are family. In something as seemingly trivial as us all singing happy birthday to a six year old, we connect into who we are. That little guy matters to all of us in our family just like the rest of our kids, and each other. God designed it that way and we do not take it for granted when He allows us to share a wonderful time together. We give Him thanks because He alone is worthy of all praise. Amen.

I thank God that He allowed me to see our great granddaughter and to observe how she has made a huge impact on our eldest son, her Paw Paw, or whatever she ends up calling him, because right now it's still up in the air. In exactly the same way, her mom gave me my name, Poppy, along with making a very similar impact on my life. It's tough trying to work and raise up children and do all the things that need to be done. But, there's something about that first grandchild that resets the clock and gives one an opportunity to rethink some things and to slow down a little and take the time to soak up the joy that this child brings. I know. My boys wondered when her mom was born where this daddy was when they were growing up. I know his girls no doubt have similar feelings. Obviously, I could have done better as a dad, and I know he feels the same way, but, what a joy to experience it all through the cycles of life that God has given to us. My prayer is that being a granddad has helped to make me a better dad due some to the white hair and the little bit of wisdom God has allowed me to attain. I can still remember when my eldest son and I stood together and we first saw his first little one laying in that crib in the hospital nursery. It was emotional for him and I. We were able to a great extent to repeat that experience with his first grandchild, and all I can say is that God is good all the time, and all the time, God is good! Slowly but surely I am beginning to become comfortable with my status as an older fellow, at home, at work, and in our local fellowship of believers. While I know I am a high mileage vehicle, I do thank God he has brought me this far. Have yourself a great day and may God bless each one! Amen.      .....More later.

No comments: