Tuesday, November 12, 2019

“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” ~ C.S. Lewis

Okay. I know I write some joking stuff about the hype surrounding cold weather, but, every once in awhile, we actually get a flavor for what many folks deal with in the official season of winter. I think today and tomorrow might just be that once in a while preview. It is Tuesday, November 12, 2019,  and as this makes its way to your location we are still dealing with some low 30's here and maybe we will see some mid 20's in the morning. This reminds me to be thankful for the home we have and for the central heat and for not having to get up in the wee hours and go to work. I do still get up early but it's primarily to take care of the newest member of our household, Sir Bentley Barksalot, Esquire. He sleeps well, but, when he needs to go out, he needs to go out. That's typically around 4 a.m. I could take him out, bring him back to his sleeping kennel and I could go back to sleep for another hour. That sounds good, however, by the time I get my clothes on and get him outside, well, The Community Coffee begins to send out a message and I often answer it, get on the computer and finish my blog and send it out. Of course, the instigator of this unnecessary early start, well, he typically has found him a nice warm spot, is all cuddled up, and fast asleep. Mr. Bentley will be observing his first year birthday this coming Sunday. I think he has some things he wants to share later in the week.

I openly confess that at threescore, ten, plus three, I am not as resilient in dealing with the cold as I have been able for most of my life here on the planet. While I never received any official plaque or trophy as the all-time reigning freeze out champion in my teen years, I do have it as a memory to fall back on. That is something to remember when I feel the need to layer up or wear a sweater on a cool day. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. I know Granny Mac always wanted to see me cold because I used to tease her about her being chilled so often. Maybe one of the angels will get her a message that while I can't really say I am now in the category of being cold-natured, I haven't lately gone out on the driveway on a frosty day in my short-sleeved shirt, looked up into the sky and blurted out, "Not today Granny, not today!" After all, I am now teaching an old people's Sunday Bible Study class, I help conduct a service each week for older people in an apartment complex, and, we also go to help minister to older folks in several different memory care facilities each month. The other day when we were in the photo studio making Santa memories, the photographer lady who we have worked with for 9 years asked how I was doing. I told her I was doing pretty good for someone 73 years old. She seemed surprised and said she had no idea I was that old. Good, because any additional help in the lifting and handling of the kiddos is greatly appreciated.

Here's a fact. We never saw ourselves getting older. It just happened. Yes. I am aware of all the slogans out there that talk about being thankful for being an older person because it's a privilege not afforded to everyone. Really? Is that the best they can do? Please don't hit me over the head with an actuarial table. I can remember back in the day when I would take up playing softball or basketball on our Church team. Typically, out of shape, those first practices were really hard on the body. Talk about aches and pains! Now I get a little of that soreness as provided by the wear and tear cooperating with those not so welcome relatives of mine, Uncle Arthur, (arthritis), Aunt Bursy, (bursitis), and Cousin Rhema, (rheumatism). I saw a meme the other day about an elderly version of a Beatles' song, "I want to hold your hand so I won't fall down". Next thing you know they will be bringing back 'Too Old to Cut the Mustard'. The experts are all over the page in trying to understand exactly where the idiom unable to cut the mustard originated or how it came to indicate failure. Perhaps it's because mustard added zest and spice and when a person fails to live up to expectations, well, that could be where it began to take on its meaning. At any rate, I am still able to depress the keys on my electronic keyboard as evidenced by the preceding mostly mundane meanderings. Nonetheless, we continue the journey, by the provision and grace of God. For which we are thankful. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: