Thursday, November 21, 2019

“Why do they not teach you that time is a finger snap and an eye blink, and that you should not allow a moment to pass you by without taking joyous, ecstatic note of it, not wasting a single moment of its swift, breakneck circuit?” ― Pat Conroy

Okey dokey, let's get on with this brand new day, Thursday, November 21, 2019. Us older folks like to joke with each other by saying, "Getting older is not for the fainthearted." Guess what? Getting older is not for the fainthearted. I am an eyewitness. In visiting the hospitals this week I was amazed at the array of technologies being employed to keep folks alive. Even really old folks. I'm not altogether sure what I think about that. There's no way to look at someone wired up seven ways from Sunday and not consider how that could be you. I'm just not sure how I feel about the level of extraordinary means available to keep a person breathing air here on the planet. Don't get me wrong, what a blessing that we live at a time when advanced medical science and provision are available. It's a personal thing. I know how a family feels. I've been there and done that. The natural inclination is to cling, to hold on, to keep them as long as we can. On the other hand, our faith in the unseen certainty of our eternity should also be a part of our decision making procress. I thought about the old saying, "Everybody wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die." Things to ponder because the truth is, "Getting older is not for the fainthearted." Amen.

Thinking about things like that makes me want to make the most of the days where I am not, as my grandfather used to say, "All laid up like a pack of dogs." I don't know why but the thought came to mind about the 'do not resuscitate' process. My thought was in order not to resuscitate, one would have to be living to begin with. Maybe I should take the advice I used to give to some of the people who worked with me. When they were dragging around I would recommend they carry a small mirror in their pocket and use it to see if they could make a breath mark on it. Fog it up a little. Just to inform them if they are still alive or not. We see memes posted from time to time that reminds us to not stop living before we are dead. Let me make clear, some folks become incapacitated without warning. That could happen to any of us. However, the question I'm thinking about today has to do with, "This is the day the Lord has made and given to me, what will I do with it?" I'm not talking about making a bucket list of all the things I dream of doing before I kick it. I'm reminding myself of what God has told us through His inspired Word, "Watch carefully then how you live, not as foolish persons but as wise, making the most of the opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:16-17)  Weighty stuff, my friend, weighty indeed! Amen.

I suppose I could call up some really sad music and sit right down and have myself a pity party. You know. Dwelling on all the wasted time and lost opportunities that help define my existence. I could. But, my experience in doing that very thing, yep, experience, tells me that while remembering the past has some lessons for us, wallowing in it pretty much keeps one stuck. The immediacy of today is where you, me, we all, can make a difference. Forget about the size of the difference and focus on the pursuit of the life God has given to you. He will provide the opportunities if we are willing to see and embrace them. I know what some of you are thinking. Maybe I should stay out of hospitals. They get me dwelling on the reality of the shortness of our time here on the planet. Hey. If it wasn't that it would be something else and to tell the truth, I need at times to be reminded of how I need to get up off of my blessed assurance and get on with the life God has given to me. Therefore, you may not have needed any of today's observations and admonitions. Good for you! I did. I do. And, I'm pretty sure when tomorrow comes, if I am still around, I will need them at that time too. Have a great rest of the day and don't forget to carry that mirror with you. May God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: