Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Funny is where you find it.

Hello folks, today is Tuesday, November 19, 2019, and I'm trying to help us all find things to bring a chuckle or at the least, a smile. Where to look? Believe me, it is my experience they are all around you most of the time. The wife and I are both beginning to begin to be a wee bit hard of hearing. Her more than me. We do repeat a lot of things to each other and sometimes we just look at each other and shrug our shoulders because whatever it was, it wasn't worth repeating. The other day we were getting ready to go somewhere. We are both in the bathroom brushing our teeth. We both use those battery-operated toothbrushes. We are brushing away and next thing I know she is asking me a question. I try to answer but everything is garbled and mixed up with the whirring of the toothbrushes. I just had to laugh. The other morning, Mr. Bentley and I came out of the house very early in the morning. Just across the driveway at our neighbor's place, there were three giant buzzards perched on their trash cans. They were pecking away at whatever they were interested in while staring intently at Mr. Bentley and me. I made some noises and stomped my feet but I realized I had never learned how to shoo buzzards. About that time a truck and trailer with all the lawnmowing equipment in it came by. It had three or four Hispanic dudes inside. They all looked at me and put their hands up in the air as if to say, "What kind of neighborhood is this?" I put mine up in the air too and had to laugh. I was reading a posting on Facebook during the cold last week. Some dear friends of ours had lost their electrical power. Fortunately, they had a fireplace and could stay warm but one thing they said intrigued me, "So much for having power operated recliners." That made me smile. Maybe because we have them too.

Last Saturday I posted on Facebook this photo along with a little write up: "Tomorrow, we recognize Sir Bentley Barksalot, Esq.'s first birthday. He came to our home back in January of this year (6 weeks old). We had no pets, we have one now! We've never had a pet in the house, we have one now! We are still trying to teach him that he is, in fact, a dog. He acts like he owns the place. However, I have noticed how he does a better version of unconditional love than most folks I know, including yours truly." On Sunday morning a dear Church brother came up to me and said his wife had shown him that photo and read the caption to him. He said it seemed to him that I had previously been an avowed no pet person but now I had become a dog lover. That took me aback a little. I knew he was right about me being outspoken in the past about never wanting a pet, but, to go as far as to call me a dog lover, now wait just a cotton-picking minute. I think perhaps that is over the top. I will go as far as to say I am fond of Mr. Bentley. Being fond of Mr. Bentley surely doesn't make me a dog lover, does it? Do we have to label people? Can't we all just get along? Joking only. Don't write to me. I really don't think it would help.

The World Series didn't turn out like I wanted it to. The three division NASCAR champions were not my choices. LSU is undefeated but their defense can, at times, make one wonder how they have won all their games. I saw where the Texans got creamed last Sunday but we don't watch NFL so we were not disappointed. I can remember a few years ago I would have been watching. It's interesting to see how folks connect to a variety of activities and they become identified with them. I saw interviews of fans on both sides of the LSU, Ole Miss rivalry where they asked this question: "Why do you dislike this particular opponent?" The answers were amazing. They talked about games played 25 years ago. They talked about people who did something and those people are no longer even alive. They mentioned this, that, and the other as reasons for their hard feelings. I know those passionate feelings sell season tickets, but, does that make any sense at all? Games are promoted saying, "There's no love lost between these teams." I've been there and done that but I believe age has helped me not to take things that don't amount to a hill of beans too seriously. If I find myself getting too involved in a televised competition, I switch the channel. It's just not worth the aggravation. Yep. I hear those comments about how I must not be a real fan. Bingo! We have a winner. And, just so you know, I typically sleep very well. Thank you very much and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: