Thursday, November 7, 2019

“Care keeps his watch in every old man’s eye, And where care lodges, sleep will never lie.” ― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

Why Sleep Matters: Quantifying the Economic Costs of Insufficient Sleep
Made it to the 5th day of this week, Thursday, November 7, 2019. So many would call it the 4th day since they count beginning on Monday, however, the week actually starts on Sunday, the first day, Resurrection Day, and that's why we meet as a local body of believers on that day. I've been telling people for the past 50 years plus how that getting the calendar rightly fixed in their minds will make the rest of their days go so much better. That, at least, has been my experience. One thing Facebook has done is to give insight into people's daily lives. Based on what I read from just about all areas of my reach is how folks, of all ages, are dealing with sleep deprivation. Here is a factoid that reflects on this issue: "In America, 70% of adults report that they obtain insufficient sleep at least one night a month, and 11% report insufficient sleep every night. It is estimated that sleep-related problems affect 50 to 70 million Americans of all ages and socioeconomic classes." It is concerning. I'm sure some have medical conditions that contribute to this problem. Sadly, many of the folks dealing with these issues have jobs that require acute alertness. While I do not have the problem, I am well aware of its impact on my family, on those who have worked for me, and with those I have worked with. Let me be clear, I do know what it is like to have a sleepless night. I think everyone has had challenges and difficulties that have precipitated this situation. However, my heart goes out to those who call their problem systemic insomnia and other names. I saw the other day a young woman who posted all the things she tries to help her fall asleep. She said these were recommendations from her friends. The list did not include one area that might be of help. I heard Dr. Charles Stanley say one time that when he tries to pray and read his Bible before bedtime he always gets very sleepy. It just might be worth a shot.

We've all seen the commercials with the theme of 'don't be that guy'. They have spawned all kinds of do's and don'ts lists out on the internet. Some are funny. Some are serious. Some are even taken from the Bible where the writer lists the types of behaviors where God says essentially: Don't be that guy. I know I have been and probably continue to be 'that guy', so, I wanted to get that out of the way up front. I did find some I thought were worth mentioning. And, yes, I could identify with all of them. Don't be that guy: ~ The Jerk ~ The Negative One ~ The Martyr ~ The Jealous One ~ The Slob ~ The Lazy One ~ The Smelly One ~ The Incompetent One ~ The Non-Team Player ~  The Scapegoat ~ The Emotional Trainwreck ~ The One Who Doesn't Show Up ~ The One Who Takes All The Credit ~ The One Who Never Follows Through ~ The One Who Just Doesn't Care Anymore ~ The One Who Cooks Stinky Stuff In The Microwave ~ The Gossip ~ The list could go on and on, but, I think there's probably enough of them that we all can work on in doing our best in not being that guy, starting with yours truly, aka me, myself, and I. Amen.

It's hard to believe that we will be celebrating Thanksgiving Day in just 21 days. On Tuesday morning I walked the mall while the ladies did their Bible study here in our home. Guess what? The mall Santa Claus set is in place and ready to go. Time, well, the saying is true, it waits for no one. I remember as a kid the holidays were something we longed for. And, they seemed to be so slow in coming. One does grow up and while I still love the holidays, they do tend to, as we grow older, arrive at the speed of light. You know the drill. It seems like only yesterday we were getting ready for last year's Thanksgiving family gathering. One thing I am thankful for is how we were always conditioned growing up to treasure these special get-togethers. I've known a handful of folks who grew up with such horrible experiences they always dreaded even thinking about the holiday season. Thank the Lord, not me! All the preparations to get ready, all the anticipation, by the time the big day came we were chomping at the bit. I can remember volunteering myself as a willing taster of anything that needed to be checked. Of course, I was not the only volunteer but one of the most eager. No wonder I woke up one day with the big 'D' haunting my path. (Diabetes) I can hear Granny Mac warning me, "Now son, it's supposed to be a taste. Don't fill up before we even have a chance to get it on the table." Such sweet memories from bygone years as we get ready to make some more this year. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: