Friday, November 15, 2019

Here's one we've likely all learned: "Being busy does not mean we are successful."

As you can tell, we pretty much keep the 'occupied' sign lighted most of the time in our busy existence. It is Friday, November 15, 2019, and we are already getting ready to get ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas. The other evening we were visiting with our eldest son about the food for Thanksgiving and I said we could talk later about it. I had him on the speaker and the wife piped up, "Let's go ahead and decide because you do know what a procrastinator your dad is." I suppose it's good to be known for something and I'll not argue with her assessment but will offer one caveat. Throughout my professional working life, I did some of my best work at the last minute. But, it's best to take things in stride. I believe the treatise on love as found in 1st Corinthians 13 does say that genuine love doesn't keep score or lists. I thought I would throw that one in as one of those sufflate examples, you know, where one breathes out spiritual influence. Hey, I didn't know about that word either until I looked it up. At any rate, we will be actively engaged from now until the end of the year. Santa Enterprise commitments, Church-related activities, and our beloved family gatherings are being worked on and anticipated. I started to say that kind of schedule would keep one young, but, I do believe that particular train left a long time ago.

On this date, twelve years ago, I wrote a piece and this is one of the paragraphs from it, THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2007 We May Never Pass This Way Again! Recently we had our wonderful native missionary in from the Philippines to visit the states for several months. He has a daughter in Michigan and he has many friends and Churches that love and support him. Our Church has been his main sponsor for over twenty years. He and I have known each other from our connections through the mission projects we’ve helped fund and I did meet him about ten years ago when he was here taking classes at the seminary. But this time when we met it was very special. He somehow communicated to me and I tried to communicate to him a mutual love and respect for the work and ministry God has allowed us to share. When he left, I told him if we don’t meet again here that I would see him at the house, up there! I wasn’t sure he caught the meaning but I knew he did when he said, "Yes, brother, how true, if not here, see you on the other side, up in Beulah Land."

Sadly, that dear brother is now dealing with disabling dementia and for lack of a better term, he is pitiful. His wife is also ailing but doing her best to care for him. He has been a long term Soldier of the Cross and while I can't fathom why something like this would happen because that is known only to God, I do take comfort in knowing that God is still with him every step of the way. So much in this life, we cannot make sense of. Yep. I do have my own long list. Yet, our faith calls on us to follow the admonition from this great song,

Bow the Knee, Writers: Chris Machen and Mike Harland

There are moments on our journey following the Lord
Where God illumines ev’ry step we take.
There are times when circumstances make perfect sense to us,
As we try to understand each move He makes.
When the path grows dim and our questions have no answers, turn to Him.

Chorus:
Bow the knee;
Trust the heart of your Father when the answer goes beyond what you can see.
Bow the knee;
Lift your eyes toward heaven and believe the One who holds eternity.
And when you don’t understand the purpose of His plan,
In the presence of the King, bow the knee.

There are days when clouds surround us, and the rain begins to fall,
The cold and lonely winds won’t cease to blow.
And there seems to be no reason for the suffering we feel;
We are tempted to believe God does not know.
When the storms arise, don’t forget we live by faith and not by sight.

Chorus:
Bow the knee;
Trust the heart of your Father when the answer goes beyond what you can see.
Bow the knee;
Lift your eyes toward heaven and believe the One who holds eternity.
And when you don’t understand the purpose of His plan,
In the presence of the King, bow the knee.

I have certainly found that song to apply to many of the perplexing happenings in my life. It is sound, Biblical advice. Amen. Time to get on with it and to say farewell for now. Enjoy your Saturday and remember to remember Lord's Day Sunday. Lord willing, see you next time. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: