Wednesday, April 3, 2019

“The reason why many are still troubled, still seeking, still making little forward progress is because they haven't yet come to the end of themselves. We're still trying to give orders, and interfering with God's work within us. ” ― A. W. Tozer

It's Wednesday, April 3, 2019, and I bid you a hearty howdy from my little homesteaded plot of the electronic internet and I am emanating from here in The Home Office, live and in person, or at least I was when I was sitting banging on the keyboard. This just past Monday gathering at the elder and special needs apartment complex was a hoot. This is where we have a one hour service, singing hymns, sharing prayers, and I bring a devotional. The fellow who leads our songs had been out for some 5 weeks and the folks there were so glad to see him return. He had been dealing with a pinched nerve and was in severe pain until they finally got the right treatment plan. He is more like a cheerleader when he leads the great songs of the faith. He gets excited and they do too. It's a time of exuberant worship. He also loves to banter forth and back with them. One lady in particular who is 89 years young has a dry sense of humor and deadpan delivery. They have a lot of fun. She was so happy to see him. She gave him a hug and sat down in her place. When he came back to his chair, he removed his jacket, and she hollered out at him, "Hey, you dropped something!" He was startled and started looking. She then calmly blurted out, "Happy April Fool's Day!" How funny. He couldn't get over it. Pranked by an 89-year-old lady. What a blessing that she still has that gumption about her. It was absolutely worth the price of admission.

I know it has been said time and time again, we go to do the ministering, but, those who serve these wonderful saints of God, we are the ones who end up being blessed. God has a way of making this happen. When I retired-retired I became available to attend these weekly sessions. I can't say I was overly excited about doing it but I was available and I showed up. My wife and others have been doing this service for years. I had shown up a few times as Santa but that was about it. The first few times I was happy to be there but unsure whether it was something for me. For me? Hey, I learned something. It never was about me. It's about bringing encouragement, hope, and the presence of God to these dear people. It began to get a hold on me and now I look forward to not just being there, but, to seeing these dear ones. Many of them are dealing with medical issues, aging issues, and in being somewhat separated from family and often isolated. Some of them are unable to get out very much. But, they love the Lord, and they love being a part of this service. They often tell us it is the highlight of their week. For some, it is the only 'church' service they can make. Therefore, I thank God for providing this opportunity and for Him showing up each week to make it what it is, for His honor and glory. Amen!

I know some of you are thinking you could have told me that before I even got started. Probably so. I have never doubted that I am a slow learner. You can go back and read the episode containing my confession about how God as The Potter is still shaping me into a useful vessel. Shouldn't I have arrived by now? One would think. Long story short, I get the sense this will go on until that day when I become absent from the body and present with the Lord. (2nd Corinthians 5:8) I well remember a sermon from many years ago where the preacher spoke about this analogy. He talked about the vessel being shaped, re-shaped, molded and often re-made. He said it can't feel too good if you are the clay being molded with the tools and instruments used by The Potter, however, the outcome is an object of beauty and honor. Dr. Charles Stanley sees this at work in the fact that having been saved, God is at work as illustrated in the Apostle Paul's inspired words, ""For we are His workmanship, having been created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10 as rendered in the Berean Literal Translation.) Dr. Stanley goes on to say that when God shapes and molds us, we become objects of notable excellence that reflect back honor and glory to Him. Okay. I may have gone off on a tangent. But, it's my tangent and I'll parade it if I want to. That's a joke. Enjoy. Be blessed. Find your place of service that God has for you, and, don't think it's too late. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: