Thursday, April 25, 2019

"Some people ask the secret of our long marriage. We take time to go to a restaurant two times a week. A little candlelight, dinner, soft music and dancing. She goes Tuesdays, I go Fridays." ~ Henny Youngman

Hello friends and neighbors, it's always good to have time to visit. Yeah. I know. This type of visiting is one way, but, it's still good and I thank you for climbing onboard the blogging bus on this Thursday, April 25, 2019. I will be having some dental work done next week. I will be adding another crown to the mix, or, better put, they will be installing one. I've never had a fear of dentists. I just don't like going. Sure. No one cares for the drilling and all the rest, but, for me, it's the confinement. It's being restrained without being tied down. Just laying there. Listening. To all the peripheral chatter as I wait for them to let me up. The people are nice enough. The environment is certainly acceptable. The prices? Unbelievable, but, what else is new? It's like they mostly talk in $1,000.00 increments. That's their rounding approach. The other day I went for my regular check-up and cleaning. I typically get a new cleaning person nearly every time I go. That's okay with me because I'm just interested in getting in there and out. This lady was efficient enough, but, when she was using that power scrubbing utensil she typically had it half on my teeth and half on my gums. My entire head was throbbing with a tickling sensation. It wasn't pain, but, it was about as uncomfortable as you can imagine. It became somewhat of an endurance game, therefore, I held on and made it to the end with only a tear or two to show for it. The Wife asked why I didn't tell the lady what was going on. Really? That's all I would have needed. Get the person with all the power tools agitated so early in the morning. I actually don't think they put people to sleep just to clean their teeth. But, it is something to think about.

Here's a little funny post I saw on Facebook. It was unattributed: ~ A Rabbi went to the barbershop. After his hair cut, he got ready to pay the barber and the barber said, "No Rabbi, I don't charge the clergy for haircuts." So the next morning the barber found a loaf of Jewish rye bread outside of his doorstep. A couple of days passed and a Catholic priest came in to get his hair cut. He got ready to pay and the barber said, "No Father, I don't charge the clergy for hair cuts." So the next morning he found a bottle of wine outside his front doorstep. A couple of days later the Baptist preacher came in to get his hair cut and when he got ready to pay the barber said, "No Reverend, I don't charge the clergy for their hair cuts." So the next morning, the barber found 15 Baptist preachers on his doorstep, ready to get their hair cut! ~ I hope everyone knows that being a Baptist doesn't get you into heaven. Jesus is the only way to heaven. But, since I am a Baptist, here are a few more jokes at my own expense. ~ There are three truths in life: Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith. Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store. ~ The pastor of a poor Baptist church passed away and the congregation went into town to take up a collection for the funeral. "Would you give $5 to bury the Baptist preacher?" "Here's $10," said one fellow, "bury two of them."~

What do older people do to celebrate their birthday? To honor The Wife, we made a day trip to Galveston. It was an overcast day, but, we had a great time together. We first stopped by a movie theater and watched the highly acclaimed remake of  'Dumbo'. Yep. And, it was good. The Wife shopped for a couple of hours at the outlet mall and I dutifully sat outside each store and waited. I don't really know what she bought but she did have two different bags when we finished. We then drove down to the beachfront and ate a mid-afternoon lunch at one of our long-time favorite places, Gaidos Restaurant. (It has been in business for over 100 years and is still owned by the Gaido family.) We've been eating there for nearly 40 years. Typically, on special occasions. Seafood. She had the fried shrimp. I had the fried oysters. One of the best meals we have ever eaten there. On the way home, we stopped off at another movie theater and saw the latest episode of 'How to Train Your Dragon'. Aren't those movies basically for kids? Probably, but we enjoyed them. We got back home around 8 p.m. and headed up to the hospital where one of our dear sister's in Christ is nearing her home going. There was a large gathering of folks there, some singing, some praying, and some tears. A full day, to say the least. We also ask everyone to pray for our Uncle Waymon and his family as they make decisions regarding his medical situation. He is the last remaining sibling in my mom's family. At 93, he has been a legendary figure and influential example to our entire family. We pray for God's presence, mercy, and grace at this time. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: