Thursday, April 4, 2019

“America is another name for opportunity. Our whole history appears like a last effort of divine providence on behalf of the human race.” ~ Poet Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yep. It's me again. Today is Thursday, April 4, 2019. The satellite we use for our TV service offers free channels from time to time trying to entice viewers to add them to their service. We have had the American Heroes Channel (AHC) for the past several weeks. I am always interested in documentaries. I have watched many of the historical accounts on that channel regarding the wars our nation has fought. In particular, I have watched and rewatched many of the WWII programs. My dad and many others within our family were a part of fighting for liberty overseas. When I hear these progressive types saying America has never really been a great country, they must not know their history. Their rights to say such stupid things were purchased for them by the blood of fighting men and women. I read where both Japan and Germany no longer teach in their schools much if anything about WWII. Is it any wonder this progressive mentality wants to make President Harry Truman a war criminal for dropping the atomic bombs on Japan? Sadly, many within our own country embrace this sentiment. For those who pay attention to the documentaries I have watched, they likely would be rooting for those bombs to fall to put an end to the atrocities being perpetrated on the world by the original axis of evil. America, warts and all the bad stuff that can be conjured up, was and still is the greatest country that has ever existed on our planet. By God's providence and grace. That's my humble opinion in case you wondered.

This photo popped up on Facebook as a memory. It's a memory all right, and, it reminds me and the rest of us that time has made changes in us all. Some more than others. Myself included. The photo is of my future bride and me, made at the Vernon Parish Fair, in the fall of 1962. I've heard the response to this photo before. "Hey, what in the world happened to you?" Time. The wife and I have sung together since before we married. One of the songs we sang early on was, "Time Has Made a Change in Me", written by Harkins Freye. We were in our late teens and early twenties when we sang this song. Much of it was prophetic to us back then. As I read through the lyrics today, I find myself nodding with understanding. What say you?

1. Time has made a change since my childhood days;
Many of my friends have gone away,
Some I never more in this life will see
Time has made a change in me.

Chrous

2. In my childhood days, I was well and strong
I could climb the hillside all day long,
I am not today what I used to be
Time has made a change in me.

Chorus

3. When I reach my home in that land somewhere,
With my friends who wait to meet me over there,
Free from pain and care I'll forever be,
Time has made a change in me.

Chorus:

Time has made a change in the old home place;
Time has made a change in each smiling face,
And I know my friends can plainly see
Time has made a change in me.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but, I've done my best to avoid the messy political landscape this week. There have been many things worth commenting on, but, I resisted the urge. My intention is to finish out the week in this mode, however, next week may be a different story. And, if you think my comments about America being great are political in nature, I would humbly disagree. I see that assessment connected to my sense of thankfulness to God for our country. And, believe me, I fully recognize that we, as a nation, have plenty of flaws and failures that do help define who we are. Yet, deep down inside, there remains a flicker of this indomitable spirit of what it means to be an American. Can we do better? Always! I don't have many stories from my dad, (died in 1954), but, I do remember my mom telling me about his time towards the end of WWII when he was in some of the battles fought in the bitter cold. He told her how many of his comrades were having to deal with serious injuries due to frostbite. He was a gunner on the top of a tank. He told her it was so cold that occasionally their tank would uncover a frozen body with its tracks and that body would stand straight up. Why was my dad, my Uncle Asa, my Uncle Waymon, and so many others over there? I think this quote from the late President John F. Kennedy, a legitimate WWII hero himself, sums it up best,  "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty." May God bless America. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: