Wednesday, August 1, 2018

“I hold that a strongly marked personality can influence descendants for generations.” ~ Beatrix Potter

Today is WednesdayAugust 1, 2018. Had dad lived, he would be celebrating his 88th today. Just one month ago, on July 1st, we celebrated the first anniversary of his home going. (Mom made her journey home on May 13, and dad followed on July 1.) Dad was peculiar in his own way, but, one thing about him, he was upfront, honest, and was, at heart, a servant to others. In his own way he served the Lord as best he knew how. He served his country and retired from the U.S. Army. He served his community as a town alderman and mayor pro tem for 25 years. He was my dad for 40 years. He was devoted to our mom. That would have been more than enough for me, but, he was also devoted to our huge blended family. He could be funny without trying. I suppose the truest thing I could say is he was my dad and I miss him calling me 'son'. While it is perhaps a way overused cliche, it is still true, "We are not likely to see his kind again, anytime soon." I thank God for this man and his influence on my life. Amen.

While I do miss he and mom, I am not overcome with grief. Not at all. They had good lives. They were granted many years in their sojourn. I was privileged to be close to them for many years. I have no regrets. Based on their testimonies, we embrace the truth of their confession and believe them to be as the Apostle Paul said, "Absent from the body, present with the Lord." (2nd Corinthians, Chapter 5, Verse 8.) Like I say, I miss talking to them every day. I miss the forth and back banter. I miss their wisdom and them caring enough to share it. They enjoyed their day by day time together. And, perhaps more than anything else, God granted them the health for them to function on their own, almost up until the very end. We are humbled by God's provision and consider ourselves to be most blessed in having these two as our mom and dad. My life was enhanced by their presence as they showed us how to live and how to deal with the finality of it all. I could wallow in all the difficulties that have befallen our family over the years or I can choose to be thankful for God's presence through it all, even by His giving to us the parents we had. So much to be grateful for. Humbled. Amen.

I think about how much they did for others. They were never recognized for these acts of service. Seeing after neighbors. Making food for shut-ins. Acting as transportation for those needing medical attention. No special recognition. No applause. Guess what? The heart to do these things is very precious in the sight of the Lord. Their service to our family? Too much too even think about. They were givers. In their own way. Mom would cook up an entire homemade feast. Dad would take it to some folks in pitiful conditions. The recipients could hardly believe it. Home cooked greens and cornbread with all the trimmings. To those who were shut in, it was like being able to sit once again at their mom's dinner table. That's what I call spreading joy. They did what they could. Their example reminds me that we all can do something. Many times they were the same age or older than the people they were helping. Their way of looking at it said, "We are able to get up and go, we have the means, and we desire to help." So, they would drive an ailing neighbor to Shreveport and stay all day long while the neighbor saw their doctors. That may sound like a small thing, but, think about it in terms of what we are willing to do. For others. Even those who are not our family. All I can say is they did leave a legacy that we all can follow and be inspired by. They may not have been able to stand up and speak behind a pulpit, or sing a special in Church services, but, they used what had been given to them to help others. That is a story that our entire family should know and be challenged to follow. Again, we are a blessed family. We are. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: