Wednesday, August 22, 2018

“I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.” —Abraham Lincoln

You guessed it. We made it to another mid-week checkpoint. This one happens to be on Wednesday, August 22, 2018. One of the biggest fans of my blog over the years was my mom. I miss hearing from her back when she was able to read them. She developed serious eye issues before she left this world for home last year at 93 years young. But, for many years she was able to read them and she would tell me what she thought about them when we talked on the phone. "Son, that thing you wrote was so funny I had to read it to your dad. You know he doesn't laugh that much but I could tell he thought it was funny too." Another day, "Son, I'm not sure I would have said that. You never know how someone might take it." I know she appreciated the stories I wrote about growing up and those that told my thoughts about what a great mom God had provided to me. "Now son, everyone knows you love your mother. You don't have to write all of that. People will think I might even be 'somebody'." I typically talked to her and dad at least twice a day. If that didn't happen they would be checking to make sure everything was okay. Or, they would be checking to make sure their telephone was working properly. It wasn't always easy to make those calls with all that was going on. I will tell you this. Now that they have both gone to their heavenly reward, I don't regret any of those calls, in fact, I not only treasure them but, in the grand scheme, it was such a small thing to do. So, who is policing my writing activities these days? Now that is a good question.

As many of you know, I have done and continue to do a whole lot of observing as I pass through on my journey to my 'real' home. I've seen some stuff in my three score ten plus two years. That includes observing up close and personal one of my most formidable adversaries, actually three of them, Me, Myself, and I. I'm not waxing nostalgic here because much of what I have seen involves pain, hurt, and sadness. I know all too well how the pursuit of things in this life will typically never give anyone what they think it will, and it most always, even when it is obtained, brings with it a sense of emptiness and disappointment. Been there and done that. I see it at work in those around me every single day. If we can just........(Fill in the blank.) Some chase material things. Some chase experiences. Some want happiness so bad but look for it in all the wrong places. I'm not preaching but this is a truth discovered by King Solomon. He chased it all. Don't believe me? Go read about it in the Book of Ecclesiastes. He had unlimited resources. Nothing restrained his desires. However, he did come to a conclusion from having given himself over to the search for happiness. He said it was like chasing the wind. Yet, in this process characterized by excess, he also discovered the truth about life and how to live with meaning, purpose, and peace. (Chapter 12)

1) So remember your Creator in the days of your youth—
before the difficult days come,
and the years draw near when you will say, “I have no pleasure in them”;
2) before the sun and the light of the moon and the stars grow dark,
and the clouds disappear after the rain;
3) when those who keep watch over the house begin to tremble,
and the virile men begin to stoop over,
and the grinders begin to cease because they grow few,
and those who look through the windows grow dim,
4) and the doors along the street are shut;
when the sound of the grinding mill grows low,
and one is awakened by the sound of a bird,
and all their songs grow faint,
5) and they are afraid of heights and the dangers in the street;
the almond blossoms grow white,
and the grasshopper drags itself along,
and the caper berry shrivels up—
because man goes to his eternal home,
and the mourners go about in the streets—
6) before the silver cord is removed,
or the golden bowl is broken,
or the pitcher is shattered at the well,
or the water wheel is broken at the cistern—
7) and the dust returns to the earth as it was,
and the life’s breath returns to God who gave it.

Solomon wanted everyone to discover this before it became too late for them. All of that metaphorical language speaks to the aging process that leads to taking our final breath. That's not morbid because the last time I checked the death rate was still 100%. For any who might be struggling, I do have good news. The shepherd boy who became king, David, he messed things up about as bad as he could have. Yet, like the prodigal son, (Luke 15), David came to his senses and got things right with the Lord. It didn't make the agony, pain, and sorrow he had birthed go away. However, as he came to the end of his life because he had been restored, (Psalm 51), David could sing his own personal worship chorus to the Lord. (2 Samuel 22) Okay. I didn't set out to write about all of this today. Here's how it came about. I sat down at my computer workstation. I began to begin hitting some keys in search of a topic to share. Now you know how it works. Yes. What you see is what you get. (WYSIWYG) I do hope you have a blessed rest of the day and that God will watch over each of us. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: