Thursday, August 23, 2018

"History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster." ~ Douglas MacArthur

Another day has dawned and I do bring you greetings on this Thursday, August 23, 2018. I'm really glad that people take care of themselves. I appreciate the fact that they brush their teeth and they eat healthy meals. I'm glad they participate in different types of bodily exercises. I'm glad they do things like housework, commute to work, watch their favorite TV programs, fix their hair, and even paint their fingernails and toenails. However, I am not sure it's a great idea to record these and post each and every one of them on Facebook for everyone to see. I do understand the great accomplishment when one of the littles go in the potty chair for the first time. That could be a reason to celebrate in any home. My wife was taught the old school method. Our boys were on a timeline schedule. Learn how or suffer the consequences. She was not a child beater, but, spanking was a part of the program around our house. I know. Dr. Spock is probably rolling over in his grave based on that admission, however, it was the tried and true method that was handed down to her from those who had experience in that area. Today it appears that as we do everything we can not to warp the child, we have ended up warping our entire society. A few weeks ago I talked about how in view of the daily murders taking place, the mayor of Chicago tearfully pleaded for families and communities to return to time-tested values of right and wrong. Guess what happened? The people in those crime-ridden neighborhoods have risen up against the mayor. How dare he connect these senseless killings to a lack of moral values in their neighborhoods? They want more money, more programs, and an apology. My response? If we are not living in some strange times, I'll eat my hat.

I realize my piecing together of topics can be somewhat discombobulating at times. I do get called out on it from time to time. My wife often sends me a note with this sentiment, "Good, but all over the page." Welcome to my world! Maybe that's why I so often heard growing up how I needed to have my head examined. My brain is likely not at peak performance but think about this latest estimate from science: "The brain processes equivalent to a billion billion calculations per second." That, my friend, makes today's supercomputers look as fast as a horse and buggy by comparison. No wonder I splash stuff all over the canvas of my blog. I'm not looking for excuses but it does help to understand the underlying mechanics. My thoughts about this ability we have? I am awed by God's creative genius. That's right! In the beginning....God! How do I know that is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? Simply put, by faith. "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (Hebrews 11:6) God gave us the power of reasoning that we might come to know Him, "And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?" Responding to and knowing God is what makes the difference as we live day by day in this fallen world. Amen and Amen.

I used to talk about my blog as a sort of cornucopia of thoughts and ideas, you know, overflowing with a variety of all kinds of stuff. I know you love it when I talk technical like that, but, I do a lot of tongue in cheek when I put together the syntax that makes up our daily visits. Folks who do not recognize the 'tongue in cheek' application are at times puzzled about my meanings. Direct from the English Language and Usage website I bring to you the etymological information on 'tongue in cheek':  "An expression, and practice, which has largely fallen out of vogue (since the mid-to-late 20th century)—and for which the above Wikipedia definition holds a limited measure of validity, "tongue in cheek" most accurately alludes to the act, or refers to the act itself, of surreptitiously pushing one's tongue, noticeably, into one's cheek on either side of the face, so as, while restraining any frontal lip or facial expression, to gesture (to signal) to one or more "confederates" in view of the "tongued" cheek, but conceal from another—usually the brunt of some joke or act of mirth—who is facing the opposite (untongued) cheek. It is tantamount to a wink (especially for those unable to wink), but further serves as a means, ala Wikipedia's biting of tongue, by which, when needed, to suppress any visible facial "tell" that might be "picked up" by the person intended to be deceived." While that most likely doesn't clear up too much about how I use it, it does give insight into how it is typically used. And, it will likely distract most people from finding fault with other aspects of my writing. That last comment may have been tongue and cheek. I report. You decide. But always remember, God is still on His throne and He still rules over all. May He continue to bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: