Tuesday, August 21, 2018

"The older I get, it is the more that I treasure the simple things in life." ....Me

Happy Tuesday, and we open the envelope to discover this one happens to identify itself as August 21, 2018. I don't know if I qualify by any objective standards to be called a foodie, but, if any of them have to do with loving homecooked meals, well, I am one. Don't have your culinary expert friends write me challenging my downhome designation. Last Thursday was my birthday. We had an official celebration and a wonderful family gathering and barbecue last Saturday. However, when I came home from work Thursday afternoon and came through the kitchen door, an intoxicating smell filled my nostrils. The wife of my youth was finishing up on one of my favorites. Homemade cornbread dressing with chicken, English peas, potato salad, and jellied cranberry sauce. She made me a tiny spice cake because she knows that is one of my favorites. Here's the deal. That dressing didn't just melt in my mouth, it evaporated. I should know. It evaporated from my plate three different times! I immediately thought of my mom and my Granny Mac. I could see them looking over the banister rail from heaven giving the wife a thumbs up. I didn't even know they knew how to give a thumbs up. Wow! The things you learn in heaven! Please don't get all theological on me, I was just having a little fun in trying to explain how good my birthday supper was. And, I will say it again, and, I am unanimous in this sentiment, I would rather eat my wife's cooking than at any restaurant, anywhere, at any time, no matter how many stars, or $$$ they might have. You can quote me on that.

The upcoming Christmas season will mark my 9th year as a professional Santa Claus. I started back in 2009 and the wife joined me as Mrs. Claus in 2010. The photo collage is of our great and grand Madi girl, through the years. I put that collection together because having our grandchildren and great grands to be a part of our Christmastime endeavor has been a real blessing. Most of the events we participate in are paid performances. This means we are paid in the same way an actor or singer would be paid. We do some charity work and we enjoy those venues as well. Because of our understanding of the true meaning of Christmas, that being the birth of our Savior, many wonder if it is a good thing for us to participate in this type of portrayal. I understand that concern. I grew up with Santa as a part of my upbringing. The wife did too. We were both raised in very religiously conservative homes. Santa never superseded or interfered with our belief in the Reason for the Season. However, I fully respect those who choose not to make Santa a part of their Christmas experience. From a personal standpoint, it can be grueling work, but, children of all ages love Santa and what His character represents, therefore, I tell people all the time when we wear the Red we are in the joy delivery business. In addition to this, we often bring this joy to the elderly and to children with physical or mental challenges. My point? It does have its own rewards. Maybe that's where the ho ho ho comes from. Or, something like that.

I don't know how you get your week kicked off, but, I will pass on something that has made a huge difference in my life. Church. Or, the original word used in the Bible, Ecclesia. That word denotes a called out assembly, one that meets for a purpose. I like to use the terms local assembly of believers, or local fellowship of believers because the word 'Church' is tagged on so many different things today. I said the meeting of folks together had a purpose. In our way of reading the New Testament, they gathered to worship the Lord, sing songs together, pray together, to build each other up in the faith, to give of their financial resources to support the work of the ministry, to be taught God's Word, and to carry out the ordinances prescribed in The Scriptures, Baptism and the Lord's Supper. The establishment of the local assembly was God's idea and He founded and commissioned it as the means of carrying out His work here on earth. That makes it pretty important. Right? Because real people make up the local fellowship, well, it can be messy. However, God still works through His chosen means of sharing Himself with the world. When people ask me about our commitment to the Lord's work through the local fellowship where we are members I tell them why we are committed. Sometimes I get, "Oh, you are one of them." I sure hope so since Jesus gave Himself up for the Ecclesia. (Ephesians 5:25) Why do we try to make every service? Simply put, as a believer, I am commanded to be faithful to active participation. Here's how the writer of Hebrews was inspired to make this clear, "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near." (Chapter 10:23-25) That's not me looking down on someone else, it's me, a beggar, telling other beggars where I found food. Take care and may God bless us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: