Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Proverbs Chapter 6, Verses 6-10, as rendered in the New Living Translation: "Take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones. Learn from their ways and become wise! Though they have no prince or governor or ruler to make them work, they labor hard all summer, gathering food for the winter. But you, lazybones, how long will you sleep? When will you wake up? A little extra sleep, a little more slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest—then poverty will pounce on you like a bandit; scarcity will attack you like an armed robber."

I'm telling you for the 2,886th time, and, as always, I do bid each and everyone a hearty hello here on this Tuesday, August 28, 2018. As we approach the beginning of thinking about thinking about the fall season, I am reminded of how it went with me as a young fellow growing up in rural Louisiana. The coming fall season always made me anxious for hunting season and with it an opportunity to get out into the woods. That was always a great feeling of anticipation. At the same time, around this time each year is when my grandfather became serious about fetching wood to use in the fireplace for the upcoming winter season. My grandfather was always conscious of what needed to be done to prepare for the future. He would follow the Farmer's Almanac to plant his crops. Paw Paw Mac was a man of his word but even more so, he was a man of The Word. He well understood verses like these, Proverbs 6: 10-11 "A little extra sleep, a little more slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest—then poverty will pounce on you like a bandit; scarcity will attack you like an armed robber." ~ Proverbs 13:4 "Lazy people want much but get little, but those who work hard will prosper." ~ Proverbs 14:23 "Work brings profit, but mere talk leads to poverty!" ~ In other words, he took these admonitions seriously. I can't say I enjoyed sawing all day in super hot weather on the other end of a crosscut saw. People always ask why we didn't have power chainsaws and the like. Let's just say we were very slow adopters. That stacked up wood didn't get used right away. It sat there for a couple of months or more before it began to be used. Yet, when I backed up to that fireplace I appreciated my granddad's foresight and I enjoyed it even more knowing I had helped to fetch it. I think it made an impact on my life. One of my favorite verses related to this subject is also found in the Proverbs, "Without oxen a stable stays clean, but you need a strong ox for a large harvest." (14:4) I'll let you think about that one as we move on down the road.

Last Sunday at the services of our local fellowship, I introduced myself to an elderly gentleman sitting behind me. I told him I didn't think I had met him before. He said that I hadn't but he heard we had some preaching going on at our Church and someone had given him a sample tape and he had come to join up. He had his son and daughter-in-law with him. I told him we did have some preaching going on and if he could stand the conviction it brings he would be very happy here. He then told me that he had pastored for 65 years. That took me aback. My wife's dad pastored for over forty years. Her brother pastored and traveled as an evangelist for 30 years. I know first hand what a difficult challenge this can be. Sixty-five years in pastoral ministry is an amazing accomplishment. He still had a twinkle in his eye and he was true to his word. At the end of the sermon, our pastor invited folks who had a need to come to the altar, as well as any who felt led to join with us. The old dude got up, got on his walker, and led the way down the aisle with his son and daughter-in-law in tow. And, yes, for any who might be wondering, we do have some preaching going on in our local fellowship. Anointed by God and He is at work. What a privilege to be a part of His working among us. Amen and Amen.

I don't know if you have heard about the latest campaign from the folks at Peta, (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). They are actually tackling the issue of people who eat crabs. Yep. They have mounted a billboard campaign in Baltimore to try and get folks to go vegan. Since I am a self-appointed observer of our culture, let me share with you something that is happening even as I write my blog today. We are more and more getting a distorted view of God's plan for His created world and more importantly, His plan for His created human family. Calling a crab a 'me' might be a clever marketing technique but it does speak to a much more serious matter. The animal rights people are attempting to make animals equal to people. Is this what God had in mind? By the way, I'm happy to report the folks in Baltimore are incensed by the campaign to make them feel guilty for eating seafood. (And, this just in: PETA has finally got the cookie company to take the fictional animals out of their circus cages on the boxes of the animal crackers. I'm sure those pictures of fictional animals feel much freer now that they can roam around on the width of the box cover.) Here are some inspired verses from the Apostle Paul that I want us all to at least think about in light of the way in which all of this is being framed. "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away." (My bolding. Paul's second letter to Timothy, Chapter 3, verses 1-5) We are called to live life God's way. God's way is clearly shown in God's Book, The Bible. Don't say I didn't tell you. (I've always wanted to use that one. I certainly heard it a lot growing up.) Take care and may God bless the crabs we are about to partake of to the nourishment of our bodies. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: