Thursday, August 2, 2018

"We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord." ~ 2 Corinthians 5:8 New King James Version (NKJV)

Here we go again. Welcome aboard as we do our best to rachet up our outlook on this Thursday, August 2, 2018. The 120 member choir at our local fellowship of believers sing a particular Southern Gospel song that really speaks to my heart. Written by Mosie Lister in 1952, the lyrics open with this thought "I woke up this morning feelin’ fine. I woke up with Heaven on my mind." The chorus puts it into perspective, "Well, I’m feelin’ mighty fine; I’ve got heaven on my mind. Don’t you know, I want to go Where the milk and honey flow. There’s a light, a light that always shines Way down inside this heart of mine I’ve got heaven on my mind; And now I’m feelin’ mighty fine." When our choir sings this one, the rafters ring. Literally. This song helps to stir the hope that resides inside me. "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear.." (1 Peter 3:15) It also reminds me of the words of my Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also." You didn't ask but let me tell you these thoughts are not a bad way to start a day, any day, any time, even today! Amen.

The critics would say this preoccupation is a form of escapism. However, if it is true, and it is, it's not an escape, it's a destination assured to all who put their faith and trust in God's one and only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. It's not an escape mechanism because we are called to be diligent and busy in our work until that day when we do experience our ultimate home going. Here are the words of someone who knew what he was talking about. Remember, the Apostle Paul testified about his experience of his journey to the third heaven or paradise. (2nd Corinthians 12) The magnitude of what he saw in that vision was so great that as a result, the Lord allowed him to have a thorn in the flesh to keep him humble. (Read all of chapter 12) Later, Paul, knowing these things then wrote these words to the local assembly meeting in Philippi, Greece: "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you. And being confident of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith, that your rejoicing for me may be more abundant in Jesus Christ by my coming to you again." (Philippians 1:21-26) My point? Paul had the first-hand experience of how wonderful and how much better it would be to go to heaven and be with Jesus, however, he also knew that God had something for him to do as long as he was here on earth. So it is with you and I. Amen and Amen.

I've told you before when you tune in to my daily broadcast, you get whatever it is that bubbles up. I had not planned to write about heaven but it was on my mind. Yep. The song. You are right. Even though they sang that a few weeks ago, it still resonates with me in my heart and spirit. That's the power of music when it reflects God's truths. I've pretty much done everything today except for receiving an offering. I almost by default said 'taking an offering'. But, I think we all know that if it is a true offering then it doesn't have to be taken, it is freely given and then received. But, alas, I have not set up a Go Fund me account or any other mechanism for folks to send me their money. You do know I am kidding about that. However, I may need forgiveness for the many times, as a kid, I would listen to radio evangelists from far-flung places as they begged, berated, and bartered blessings for their listener's money. Forgiveness? Yep. Because, for me, it was entertainment. Sorry. I enjoyed Abbott and Costello, but, some of those foaming at the mouth, prayer cloth selling evangelists were pretty good fare for a kid landlocked in rural Louisiana. I was always happy they made it through their time on the air without collapsing with a heart attack. That meant they would be back on tomorrow evening, same time, same station. But, don't I know that some people really believe and follow these folks? Let me be clear, many of them were then and continue to be charlatans. (A person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill; a fraud. Synonyms: quack, sham, fraud, fake, impostor, hoaxer, cheat, deceiver, double-dealer, swindler, fraudster.) Sorry, but, that's the truth. And, I could tell that when I was just a kid. Oh well, time to say goodbye for now and I do so with a prayer that God would bless us all. Amen. ....More later.

P.S. Never get the idea I would ever criticize legitimate Bible preaching on the radio. Untold millions have been changed by the Gospel that came to them as they listened to God's Word presented through the airwaves. Amen!

No comments: