Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The preacher tries his hand at word play.

Good morning and welcome to this edition of my blog. It's Wednesday, July 26, 2017, and I do bid you a hearty welcome. The other day the wife and I were introducing ourselves to a preacher fellow. He noticed the wife was wearing a wrist support and mentioned how a lot of folks these days have to deal with carpal tunnel syndrome. (The wife wears hers for arthritis but we didn't have time to go into that level of detail.) He then told us a little story. He said when he was in Denver he had a fellow tell him about an assignment he and some other fellows were given. It required for them to commute a long distance each day for several months. The man told him that part of their commute took them through a tunnel cut into the mountain. He went on to say that all of them became weary of the long commute. He said they began to suffer carpool tunnel syndrome. We laughed. He laughed. I later told the wife that he proved the old saying. She asked what I meant. The one that says deep down inside everyone wants to be a comedian. But, for style points, I give him a 3.5 out of 4 on my scorecard.

I was recently reading through some quotable last words spoken before death and some of them are very interesting. Lady Nancy Astor, an American born English socialite, had been in a deep sleep for several days. When she awoke and saw all of her family gathered around her bed, these were last words, "Is it my birthday, or am I dying?" Allen W. Barkley, former vice president of the United States suffered a fatal heart attack and uttered these final words, "I'd rather be a servant in the house of the Lord than to sit in the seats of the mighty." Here's one that I like. A Brazilian poet, Olavo Bilac, signed off like this, "Give me coffee, I'm going to write." George Washington Carver, "I think I'll sleep now." Bing Crosby, "That was a great game of golf, fellers." Jack Daniel, founder of the whiskey empire, "One last drink, please." Joe DiMaggio, "I'll finally get to see Marilyn." (Speaking of his former wife, Marilyn Monroe.) Thomas Edison, "It is beautiful over there." There are hundreds more, but, it made me wonder what I might have to say when that time comes. Hopefully, it will be based on my anticipation of the truth that God has given to those who are His own, "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord." (2nd Corinthians 5:8) Amen.


I agree. Whenever I go for something like "last words", it is either a really slow day for subject matter or I have very little original material to share. That begs the question. When have I ever allowed something like that to keep me from putting words onto the electronic page? (You don't have to send me an answer, the response is assumed, but thanks.) I was over in an area of the metroplex the other day where there is no more land to develop. Across the street from the business I visited, they have torn down a huge grocery store and are in the process of re-developing the property. What are they building there? A huge grocery store. The same brand as before. The difference? The new grocery store will sit on top of an underground parking facility. They needed more parking. I suppose this is how you solve the 'no more land' issue. I don't think I have ever seen that one before, especially for a grocery store, but, it must make financial sense or they wouldn't be doing it. You learn something new every day. Or, in my case, if needed, I just recycle some of the stuff I've likely already shared, many times before. Oh well, maybe tomorrow. Until then, may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: