Friday, July 21, 2017

One of the worlds greatest hypochondriacs, bumped into his Dr. one day at the supermarket. “Doc!” he exclaimed, “I’ve been meaning to tell you, remember those voices I kept on hearing in my head? I haven’t heard them in over a week!” “Wow! What wonderful news! I’m so happy for you!” his Dr. exclaimed. “Wonderful?” Are you kidding? "There’s nothing wonderful about it. I’m now afraid there's something wrong with my hearing." ~ copied/adapted

Yes. Yes. Yes. It's Friday, July 21, 2017. I'm not exactly sure why, but this week has seemed longer than normal. I don't suppose there's some kind of vortex happening in the Equinox phase, or something like that. What? Maybe it's me? Good read. It could be that I'm a little apprehensive, trying to get ready to get ready for my annual physical scheduled for the 31st. I've been working on coming up with some novel excuses. I have this ongoing worry about the doctor coming up with something he can't even pronounce. A little girl came in and told her mom that she and the neighbor boy had been playing doctor. The mom was alarmed. She breathlessly asked what they had done. The little girl said nothing because so far she had only kept him waiting for three hours. I was going to try this one. "Doctor, I've discovered that being overweight runs in my family." Unfortunately, our doctor is a fitness guy and he would most likely respond, "No sir, the problem is no one in your family runs." If he gets testy with me, I've memorized a quote to share with him from William Oster, "The good physician treats the disease; the great physician treats the patient who has the disease." Good one. Right? That should distract him a little.

Have you noticed that our world is filled with drama in just about every nook and corner of our lives? I'm not just talking about the obvious situations like road rage. It is everywhere. In the checkout lines. At the fast food joint. At the doctor's office. On the job. In our homes. At the school house. On the playing field. At the courthouse. In our political dialogue. Even, in our churches. Drama. Here some drama, there some drama, everywhere some drama. I was thinking about this situation in light of God's revelation of Himself as being Sovereign over all things. (Throughout the Scriptures.)  I was thinking about this in light of the Apostle Paul's admonition to believers that they should even forego seeking remedy when they are wronged in order to keep the peace and further the Gospel. (1st Corinthians Chapter 6) And, probably the most memorable, from our Lord and Savior Himself, “You have heard that it used to be said, ‘You shall love your neighbour’, and ‘hate your enemy’, but I tell you, Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Heavenly Father. For he makes the sun rise upon evil men as well as good, and he sends his rain upon honest and dishonest men alike." (Matthew 5:43-45) I throw these truths out there because it helped me. And, that's how we can be of help by reminding each other of God's ability to handle each and every issue we face. Thanks. I needed that. Amen.

I guess when it comes down to it, the way I've described my blogging in the past really does fit. WYSIWYG. What you see is what you get. Or, maybe if you like it set to music, channel Popeye singing, "I Yam What I Yam and Dats What I Yam!" If you can't conjure up Popeye the Sailor Man, I'm not sure I can help you. However, I am well aware of the emphasis on using words and phrases that try and connect to Millennials. There's a commercial running on the radio right now from Tom Bodett of "we'll leave the light on for you" fame. In the new spot, he attempts to use a lot of the hashtag references and other slang recognizable by the younger generations. It doesn't make much sense to me but it does make me laugh. See? It does make me laugh. Maybe if I understood it, it wouldn't be funny anymore. Perhaps that's where the old saying came from, "fat, dumb, and happy." I'll let you chew the cud on that for a while with hopes that you and yours will have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. See you next time, Lord willing and the Creeks don't rise, (Creek Indian Nation). Amen. ....More later.

No comments: