Wednesday, July 19, 2017

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." ~ Romans 3:23

Don't worry about it being a new intruder, it's only me. Thanks so much for showing up where I will shoot the breeze in a kind of one way fashion here at the ole blogger ranch on this Wednesday, July 19, 2017. People today are really fascinated with reality shows on TV. The new cable series "Live PD", as in police department, on the A and E channel, has become somewhat of 'must see' for us. We like it because it is, for the most part, happening in real time, live. The only editing they do is when there is a horrible accident or other tragedy and they purposely do not show victims. In that show, you see people who come in contact with the police for who they really are. Many times that is not very pretty. But, by the way, it works in the exact same way for us all. I recently was teaching through Genesis and we were looking closely at the dysfunctional families beginning with Adam and Eve and Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Talk about a reality show! The truth is, they were no different than you and me today. Sure. It was different times, but, they were thoroughly human, and fallen. I heard a preacher the other day talking about when he tried to correct his three-year-old granddaughter, she put her hands on her hips and let him know that he couldn't tell her what to do. Where did that come from? From within, that's where. And, it's the same for Abraham, for that preacher, the little granddaughter, and for you and I today. God, because of His love, provided a remedy for this condition of ours. He sent His one and only Son to die for all those under Adam's curse. Any who receive His sacrifice will live eternally with Him. Thinking about this great need, and that would be me, well, I don't know about you, but, I am so glad He did what He did for me! Amen.

Some tend to want to put the people in the Bible on a pedestal. And, while many are worthy of recognition for their demonstrated faith and courage, they had to live out their days, make decisions, take actions, and go about the living of their lives just like we do in the 21st century. That's why we can relate to the truths God chose to preserve concerning the individuals mentioned in The Scriptures. I am not angling for a love offering here, just sharing what bubbled up on this day. As most of you know, we've had to deal with death in our family in recent days. That is when the reality of the truth God has given to us really hits home. At the same time, life goes on. Steven Wright told this joke, "I recently attended the funeral of a clown friend of mine, all his friends rode in one car." I can't be sure why but I thought that one was really funny. I also read the testimony of a lady who said some of her relatives had coached a little girl on what to say to her dying grandfather. She memorized, "I hope you pull through." When they went into his room, the grandfather pulled the little girl up close to him and said, "I am at death's door." The little girl did not hesitate. "I hope they pull you through."

I was trying to come up with a 'walk off' closing statement similar to the 'walk off' homer to end the game, but, I couldn't come up with anything, so, I will, instead, continue to torture the language for us all. Here's one for you. The other day I had to have some pipe threaded at a mom and pop hardware store near where I work every day. When I went to check out, an older fellow came in and ran over to me. We shook hands. I thought he was going to hug me. He said he had been to see me several times but I wasn't at home. I had never seen this fellow in my life. Before I could say anything he told me he was having a pretty bad time. I asked what was going on. He said he had to bury his wife last week. I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't know him. He went on. He talked about some people that I assume we both were supposed to know. I was trying to walk out but he followed me. I told him about losing mom and dad. I patted his shoulder and shook hands with him again. We had a pretty good visit. I did everything I could for him except maybe having prayer with him. I do feel sorry for the real person when he sees him next time and that person can't even remember the good conversation they had down at the hardware store. I tell you. If it's not one thing, well, it's something else. Now I can add to my resume that I am the long lost friend of someone I never met before. What a life! Enjoy, and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: