Friday, July 7, 2017

"Set your mind on things that are above, not on things that are on earth…when Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." ~ (Colossians 3:2-4)

While I know on one is counting, obviously with the exception of me, myself, and I, but yesterday was my 2,600 time to intrude into someone's space via this blogging utility. That, my friend, is a lot of intrusion! We are still here in Louisiana on this Friday, July 7, 2017. I hope to get some business done out at Fort Polk today as we begin to begin winding down the affairs of mom and dad. Many folks who care have inquired about how I am holding up, given the passing of my mom and dad so close together. It's hard for me to tell. I do know this. While I don't consider myself to be a great faith warrior, I do know that my faith in God has helped to inform my response to these circumstances. When mom began to go the way that we all will someday go, I was thankful. The other day when they began telling us about dad's movement in that direction, I was thankful. I had prayed for mercy on mom's behalf. I also prayed the same prayer for mercy on dad's behalf. I believe. I know, not because I've seen or touched it, the best was yet to come for mom, and for dad. The basis? "We look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen; for the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18) Here's the deal. I really believe that. Not just so I can feel better at the time of a loved one's passing, I really believe it. That's how I would answer the question about how I am holding up.

This doesn't mean I don't have my moments. One day I was working with our niece to try and get the internet functioning at our parent's house. I've done that many times working with mom and dad. When I looked for my notes on the computer, it was labeled mom and dad's phone issues. Don't know why, but, seeing it labeled that way caused me to stop and remember all those times of working with them on trying to get their computer or their network up and going. Sometimes I do look at the clock and think it's close to the time when I am supposed to call mom. Stuff like that. However, a tear here is nothing to compare with the truth in that first paragraph. God knows we grieve. He is aware. Our Savior knows. He cried real tears at the grave of Lazarus. (Gospel of John, Chapter 11) We do have our tears because we are human and we care, yet we do so within the context of our faith. "Now we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve like the rest who have no hope." (1st Thessalonians 4:13)

I honestly had no intention of this becoming a sermon. When I would mess something up I would tell Paw Paw Mac it was not what I intended. He was always quick to ask very directly, "Then, just what did you intend?" I cannot even tell you how many times I used that very quotation when I ran the worldwide network and computing business for the big company. We would suffer this type or that type of meltdown and my folks would answer me just like I answered my grandfather. It was just too easy. I had to echo his response. It's probably in my genes. Speaking of that, my genes must be expanding because my jeans are becoming tighter. I just threw that in to change the tone. Just so you know, I bet it is that fancy washing machine. Maybe that grumbling sound he makes is his way of laughing about what he is doing to my jeans. Think on that one for a while. Lord willing, I'll see you next time and may God bless. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: