Monday, July 17, 2017

“Donald Trump owes an apology to the millions of Mexicans in this country who have contributed their talents towards making the United States the envy of the world.” ~ Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chairwoman Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-Calif.)

Welcome back from our brief respite as we continue the journey here on this back-to-work Monday, July 17, 2017. The other day I carried a couple of fellows here from the Company for a field project. They are both originally from Mexico. I put the radio on a Spanish music station. I noticed something that I had no reason to know before. I heard the name Trump and Trump care in the commercials in-between songs. Not surprising, it sounded like it was negative. So, I asked. They responded. "No one like Trump." Me, "why?" "He make many changes. Immigration, sanctuary cities, education, and medical." "He is not like Obama." I tried to explain how the so called affordable healthcare system is not affordable at all, especially moving forward. I could tell they were skeptical. One asked if I was a Trump man. I told them I did not support him as a candidate, but, in the election, there was no way I could vote for Hillary Clinton. They indicated some level of understanding my point of view, but, it was good to hear their thoughts and concerns about something we all read and hear about every day in the news. While I disagree with their understanding of the arguments, I do support anyone's right to have an opinion. The commercials on the stations they listen to no doubt are doing their best to shape that understanding.

And there you were, thinking that field reporting was no longer viable. You heard it directly from the 'man on the street', well, in this case, the man in the truck with two fellows riding with me. You know. It was the classic captive audience. From both points of view. I can remember back in the day when the comedy programs did skits with a reporting talking to those on the street. I've been around long enough to remember show host Steve Allen's regular 'Man on the Street' routines. That segment helped launch the careers of people like Bill Dana, Pat Harrington, Louis Nye, Tom Poston and Don Knotts. I actually remember all of them. Most will likely remember Don Knotts in the role of Deputy Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith Show, but, I remember the others as well. My man on the street interview was more of a reality piece, but, as I was attempting to explain my views using words and hand signs, there was some laughing as well.

For those not on Facebook, I wouldn't want you to miss out on the photo taken of our newest family addition, our great granddaughter, Gabriella or Gabi. They showed up last Thursday evening and thanks to our granddaughter Brittany for bringing the baby over for a visit. It was a surprise for me. If it was intended to take the edge off, and I know that wasn't the reason, it did. And, I enjoyed the couple of hours immensely. When we talked, I could tell her Paw Paw, our Chris, enjoyed me enjoying little Gabi. As you can see, it also gave me a head start on holding babies for the upcoming Christmas season. I did speed watch the Ron Howard version of 'The Grinch' one day last week during lunch. I don't know why, but, I wanted to watch something about Christmas and I landed on that one on Netflix. I watched the hour and a half movie in about 30 minutes. I've seen it a few times so I didn't miss out on anything that I skipped through. See what I mean? You wouldn't even think about wanting to have to deal with what I have to deal with every day. Me. Myself. And, I. Count that as a blessing. Now you have something to be thankful for on this Monday. Maybe you could hum Jingle Bells or something just to keep the mood going. See you next time and may God add His blessings to our day. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: