Wednesday, July 12, 2017

I know what some of you are thinking. The difference between coffee and me sharing my opinion is that you actually asked for coffee.

Here we go again. This time we do so on this day, Wednesday, July 12, 2017. Thanks for showing up on time. Let's punch in and get this show on the road. Coffee is bad for you. Coffee is good for you. Coffee causes cancer. Coffee helps prevent cancer. Coffee shortens your lifespan. Coffee extends your lifespan. Round and round we go and where it will stop we cannot know. While I appreciate the headlines from our tabloid friends across the pond, could someone out there call a halt to this continuing ping pong match using coffee as the ball? Please. I'm trying to think if there is any other product that has endured this endless speculation concerning its consequences. We all stand to suffer from whiplash just reading all the so called scientific research papers. Yes. I did notice it said three cups, but, thanks for pointing that out. And, you are correct, I have three cups before most people have even thought about hitting the snooze button. Americans do love their coffee. Just think how much more they would love it if they got hold of some of Louisiana's own Community Coffee? Here's a fact from the coffee industry for us to think about: "Americans consume 400 million cups of coffee per day, or equivalent to 146,000,000,000 (146 Billion) cups of coffee per year; making the United States the leading consumer of coffee in the world."

You think what? I'm trying to make coffee talked about as much as the weather? I'm only going to say this once, or maybe a few more times, because I'm not really keeping count, but, be clear, I didn't start this fight. For me, it started when I was a wee little lad as I would see my grandfather pour up cold leftover coffee into his cup from the night before. He did this before he made a new pot. Why? To him, it was much too valuable to throw out. Sure. It was as thick as dark cane syrup. But, he would down it with one swig and it typically caused a shiver beginning with his shoulders and running up through his neck. I watched. I learned. As a child, I could never see myself doing something like that. My oh my, what a difference time makes. I might get called away from my desk. I might be gone for a few hours. When I return, I find my coffee cup with about one-fourth left. I drink mine strong so it is now cold and thick. I down it with one swig. I feel that shiver in my bones. Why? To me, it's much too valuable to throw out. Enough said.

My dedication to Community Coffee as a preference is well known. The other evening we enjoyed a nice Cajun seafood meal with some of dad's folks. Some of them were in from California. After the meal, we went to the baby brother in our family, Richard's, to enjoy some cake and homemade ice cream. When we arrived there, Richard asked if I would drink some coffee. Before I could answer he blurted out, "It's a special grind Community Coffee." All the air went out of the room. I didn't hear any angelic voices, but, I could tell the California folks were a little puzzled by this branded coffee ritual. I, of course, said, "You betcha". One from the California contingent offered up how they really enjoy some of the new concoctions served up by their local barista. The ingredients were named. I had to control myself because I nearly threw up on the spot. To use the word coffee in the same sentence was almost more than I could stand. (I would name some of them for you but it is way too early in the morning to wash my mouth out with soap.) But, as you can tell, I survived. You do know there's a throwdown embellishment or two in this little tale. I'll let you guess about that. Take care now, you hear? May God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: