Friday, February 10, 2017

You've got to be kidding. Displaced by Mickey and Barbie!

Just so you know, I didn't stay up late celebrating the 2500 blogs I've written. I did receive several notes with some very kind and encouraging sentiments. Thanks so much. The wife congratulated me and took special note of the shortness of my first blog. I didn't know she was that much into brevity. Now it's time to get on with it or as they say in the old country across the pond, "One moves on." I'm glad to report there is good news afoot. It's Friday. This one presents itself as February 10, 2017. Not too many years ago the most recognizable fictional character in our nation was Santa Claus. He won that designation year after year. Over the past decade or so, Mickey Mouse and Barbie have muscled their way into the top three. Santa is second on some lists and third on others. Mickey is first on many lists and Barbie is first on some as well. My point? Santa is no longer consistently the most recognizable fictional character. To be honest, I take that somewhat personally. Think about it. Since we are talking fiction here, I wonder how many times folks have awakened and found that Mickey and Barbie showed up with gifts for everyone? Yeah. Typically, those two characters involve the purchasing of their likeness, buying their products, and watching their programs. Santa is a symbol of the gift of giving, the spirit of Christmas, and the joy of a child at Christmastime. I'm not that fond of finishing behind a fake mouse and a plastic doll. Can't the Millennials see how unfair and unjust these rankings are? No. I am not asking for a participation trophy. I just would like for folks to wake up. Before it's too late because I am not going to be a happy camper if I slip to 4th place behind Spiderman or one of those freaky Anime characters. You can quote me on that.

While the facts about those rankings are true, I shared it, hoping to add a little levity to our day. Yes. I am aware of the joke about adding very little levity. I, at least tried, Ollie. (Stan and Ollie, Laural and Hardy) I know many of you get these dated references but I do try to explain them for those who may be part of the younger crowd. I'm just trying to prove that us older folks do know a funny story when we see it. I read about an older couple who came out of the movie theater and spotted a cop writing a ticket. "Why don't you give a senior citizen a break?" The police officer was annoyed and started writing a second ticket for bald tires. The wife took over and called the cop an idiot. This name calling went on for about 20 minutes. The more names the old people used, the more tickets the officer wrote. Finally, the bus pulled up, the old people got on and waved to the confused officer of the law. This was the little story these folks told to let people know how, as retirees, they entertain themselves each day. For those of you with good recall, you will recognize I had previously shared a version of that little story last August. Today it was one that came to my mind and since my mind is the only one I have to work with, I decided to go with it. And, here's another thing to consider, haven't you ever heard of recycling?

I may be the number one encouragement for people learning how to effectively use the skip function. I do try to contribute wherever I can. I have another trip planned for tomorrow over to Louisiana to visit mom. One of these days I will climb into my old pickup and point it in that direction and it will find its way on its own. Mom continues to make progress, albeit, very slow. She had at least one very challenging day this week. However, sometimes when I call her she sounds like she did before this all began with her fall back on December 30, of last year. When she does, it causes me to jump back a little, but, I am very thankful for even a few minutes like that. The other day she asked her primary care why he thought her mental faculties might be slipping. He told her to think about all that she, as a 92-year-old, has been through. She fell and broke a bone in her hip requiring emergency surgery. That required anesthesia which is problematic for someone her age. She then developed pneumonia and had to be treated for that. Her heart has been an issue during this process. After being sent home, she had to be readmitted to the hospital with a urinary tract infection. Now she is in rehab again. The doctor said those events would cause a problem for nearly anyone, regardless of their age. I think that confirms what I continue to report: She is a remarkable woman and we thank God for His working in her life. Take care. Enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and I'll catch back up with you later. May God bless. Amen. ...More later

No comments: