Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Yes, Virginia, there are times when even Santa Claus can feel under the weather.

Good morning. Welcome. It's Wednesday, February 22, 2017, and I'm glad that I am beginning to begin feeling mostly like my old self today. That's right. Last Saturday evening when we got home from our trip to Louisiana I fell ill. Me. Mr. Invincible. I really did. I'm not sure how it goes but it was either fever and chills or chills and fever. That combination is characteristic of when I find myself under the weather. I heard all my life about people being sick as a dog. I think I may have, at a minimum, fit that designation. I don't know where it came from. I don't even know what it was. I suppose it could have been food poisoning are some other sudden onset distress, but, whatever it was it knocked me down and took every bit of the strength out of my body. After a long night, I was still pretty wiped out Sunday morning so I didn't go to teach my class. My wife had tried to get me to arrange for someone to cover Saturday evening but I felt like I would surely be ready to go Sunday morning. I wasn't. Fortunately, we had someone who was willing to step up and fill in for me. I'm not sure what people thought at our local fellowship but I understand they were asking about funeral arrangements. I don't miss very often. I did make it to work Monday but I felt like the proverbial person who had been run over by a freight train. The wife and I were talking about the incident and I told her all I could figure out is that I need to be reminded from time to time that I am subject to all the same issues any person might encounter, regardless of what I might think about it. She said she thought I had been pushing too hard for too long. Whatever that means. In case you were wondering, I can do without those kinds of reminders every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Thanks.

Let me be perfectly clear. I was so happy when I experienced the comedian Mark Lowry's favorite Bible verses. "It came to pass." That phrase is found often in both the Old and New Testament. Mark says, to him, that means it didn't come to stay, it came to pass. I sure was glad when that little setback came to pass. And, I have thanked God for His provision in helping me to get up and go again. While I was indisposed I couldn't help but think about those who deal with those kinds of symptoms regularly due to a chronic illness or other maladies. I thought about some we know who are being treated for cancer with their reports about all they are going through, so sad they just break your heart. I think about my 92-year-old mom whose life has changed dramatically after falling and breaking a bone in her hip. She went from being able to be mobile and functional to being mostly immobile, unable to do much, and in pain most of the time. She told me one night this week about her emotional anguish in trying to understand all that has happened to her. She often asks me if I think she will ever regain any of the independence she enjoyed just a few weeks ago. I always tell her that only time will tell. She talks about maybe getting her questions answered when she sees the Lord. Then she reminds me that maybe she won't have any questions at that time. I told her the song says we'll understand it better bye and bye. I added that whether you will have or you won't have questions, we will still understand it better bye and bye. She told me she just doesn't know how anyone makes it if they don't know the Lord. She often signs off with a "Praise the Lord." That's my mom. That's our heritage.

The wife reminds me from time to time that brevity is a virtue, especially when it comes to my daily blogging. I never have denied my verbosity. (I believe that is the recognized word that describes someone who uses more words than necessary.) I suppose on most days I just go with the flow. After all, if anyone thinks it's too long, do what Deputy Barney Fife advised, "Nip it, nip it, in the bud!" I forget sometimes the different ones who do read my blogs each day. Frequently I tell something and someone says, "Yeah, I know, I read that in your blog." Oh my! Occupational hazard, I suppose. Given all of that, it's probably a good time to once again say, "Goodnight Gracie." I do hope that you will have yourself a wonderful rest of the day. Be thankful if you are able to get up and go. I sure am. See you next time and may God be with us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: