Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Happy Valentines Day!

Happy Valentines Day, on this Tuesday, February 14, 2017. The first time I saw this young lady I didn't really see her. She was actually sitting at our kitchen table. She and some other young ladies were visiting with my sister since they were all a part of a Gospel singing school at a nearby Church. I didn't really see her. I knew she was there but I didn't focus on any of them. They were all laughing and talking. Later that week, in what I believe to be August of 1962, I was persuaded to go with some other fellows to check out the girls at the singing school. I went. When the singing school concluded for that evening several of the girls crammed into the cab of a pickup truck. Back in the country, we weren't too creative in our approaches, therefore, they left and we chased them in our vehicle. Outside of town they did the unthinkable, they stopped. I walked up to the passenger side of the truck. There she was. Face to face. Suddenly, every bit of the air in my body left. It's a wonder I did not collapse on the spot. I've always called it love at first sight, but, whatever it was, however it is described, I still remember that feeling when I look at her. Yep. Still do. After all these years. Happy Valentines Sweetheart, and always remember, "Baby you're the greatest!"

Neither I or the wife hear as well as we did in our younger years. This can lead to some humorous exchanges. Sometimes getting it right matters, and sometimes it doesn't. I read this little ditty that reminds us all that it is important to hear some things with precise understanding. It seems this fellow who was a widower and aged 82 had gone to the doctor for his check up. A few days later the doctor saw the man on the street and he had this gorgeous young woman on his arm. Several days after that, the doctor was able to speak to the man and he told him he must be doing great. The man responded by telling the doctor that he was only trying to do exactly what the doctor had instructed. The man said he was told to get a hot mamma and be cheerful. The doctor jumped back. "I didn't tell you to do that. I said you had a heart murmur and that you should be careful." We've never had a misheard comment with that kind of impact, however, we've had some real doozies and my guess is that in this particular area, we've only just begun.

Speaking of a love story, mom and dad are amazing. Dad is stubborn and set in his ways. However, he is hopelessly devoted to our mom. He is always thinking of ways to try and make things a little easier for her. Watching them is pretty remarkable. Talk about not hearing! When he spends the day with mom at the hospital, his report is always based on his way of seeing and hearing what it going on. Those have proven to not always be reliable, but, they are always fueled by his tremendous devotion and his optimistic hope for her full recovery. He has told me in the past that he hopes that God will take mom first so that he can take care of her until she goes. Watching him feed mom, fix her coffee just like she likes it, and to make conversation that neither of them fully understands, well, it does represent a treasure for our entire family. Love. And, that love demonstrated by duty which requires time and effort. It might not be the kind of stuff ladies like to watch on the Hallmark channel, but, it is something we all should thank God for. A legacy of love, if you will. Okay. I think I've exhausted the love theme for today except to remind us all of the greatest love ever shown. That would be the love that put our Lord and Savior on the Cross in our place. Now we are talking about love! See you next time and may God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: