Tuesday, February 28, 2017

“Rather than turning the page, it's much easier to just throw the book away.” ― Anthony Liccione, American poet and author

My blood sugar has stabilized from the weekend. You can probably identify with my dilemma. When you work on your taxes and the wife is away, well, you have to snack just to keep your spirits up. It reminds me of that old saying, "When the wife is away the food will not stay." Just joking. What was my big number? What happened at that particular time, stays there. At least I knew it was coming. When I stuck my finger Sunday morning I shaded my eyes and scrunched up my shoulders in anticipation. I did see a small inscription that appeared on the bottom of my little test screen display. It said, "ET call home." The wife is now back and I've turned the page, hopefully with a return to an acceptable level of moderation. It's Tuesday, February 28, 2017, and I'm joking a little to get our day started. A little. There was at least some good news. She did not leave any Blue Bell. I searched all the freezer compartments. (Three different units.) I was working on taxes, so, maybe I was doing inventory. I think it best to leave it at that. I'm sure you have noticed that I do a whole lot of start overs. What's the big deal? So, I'm into new beginnings. That's a good thing. Right? Maybe this day, the one we all are working on, will set a new course. I can't be sure but I may have said exactly the same thing yesterday. I know that repetition is critical, however, that may have to do with what is being repeated. At least I am trying?

I didn't watch this year's Oscars. I didn't watch last year or the year before. There was a time when it was an entertainment program that showcased great talent. Now it is everything but that. It has become a program where people can only say what all of them are programmed to say. Group speak at its worst. Unison. Insufferable people applauding each other for unwatchable films. Sure, I know they have influence. Our culture is built around the concept of celebrity being at the top of the food chain. They proclaim themselves as being beacons of free speech and open dialogue, yet, they instantly ostracize any of their peers who don't say what they think they should say in exactly the way they want it to be said when they want it to be said. No differing viewpoints allowed. Period. Why any self-respecting person would want to take their cues from folks with the most whacked out views on the planet is beyond me. They are intent on imposing their views on everyone by coercion and peer pressure. Seeing some of the follow the leader postings on Facebook proves this is how they expect to advance their agenda. For far too long those of us called the silent majority have been just that, silent. Seeing the threat to our children and to our national interests, it's time for us to stand up for what we believe in.

Speaking of entertainment, we've been watching some recently resurrected TV programs that are filled with great music, comedy, and other types of interesting acts. The Jimmy Dean Show was on between 1963-1966. The show starred the country singer Jimmy Dean, ('Big Bad John'), who later became a successful entrepreneur as the founder of Jimmy Dean Sausage. On any given episode, the guest list was impressive. Molly Bee, Don Adams, Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Eddy Arnold, Norm Crosby, Vicky Carr, Jerry Vale, Chet Atkins, Floyd Cramer, Rosemary Clooney, The McGuire Sisters, Jack Jones, Connie Smith, Roger Miller, Al Hirt, George Gobel, The Mills Brothers, Pearl Bailey, Jim Reeves, Henny Youngman, Jackie Mason, just to name a few. The list is huge. They had their own regular characters including one of Jim Henson's early puppets, Rowlf the dog. They also had their own ensemble of singers and dancers. It's called variety. The restored TV programs are black and white and they are not that clear but they do what they set out to do, entertain their viewers. Or, at least, they entertain us. But, then again, we are certainly not necessarily a sought after demographic. Not unless you are marketing catheters, reverse mortgages or burial insurance. That's okay. We still enjoy watching. I know. We are missing The Walking Dead. We always have missed that one from the get-go. I guess for us, that would be an example of must-not-see TV. Feel free to have your own preferences, and don't forget to enjoy. Take care, and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: