Wednesday, February 15, 2017

"If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." ~ Maya Angelou

Here's another brief update on mom's situation. As of this afternoon, she is supposed to be released and headed for home. There are plenty of unknowns. Is she able to function at home? What about her health? And, what are the options depending on the outcomes experienced? These are all to be determined. One thing we are thankful for. She is much stronger now than when she was released to go home three weeks ago. We are also thankful for dad and his tireless spirit. (People who are around dad forget quickly that he is going on 87.) And, we are thankful our sister JoAnn can be there to help mom and dad deal with this situation. Prayers on behalf of mom and her caregivers are, as always, appreciated.

Welcome to the day after Valentines, here on this Wednesday, February 15, 2017. I think we all know that genuine love is one that cost something. When it comes to the actual day set aside to recognize love, well, they tell us that nearly $20 billion was projected to be spent. My wife gave me one of those beautiful Hallmark cards. I made her one on my computer at home. It did require ink and paper. We did eat out. Therefore, we were active participants to some degree in this economic outlay. Dad sent a box of Valentines candy home with me the other day, and I helped consume some of its contents. That did elicit a response from my better half. "Don't you know you are not supposed to be eating candy?" And this one, "Do you have any willpower whatsoever?" I thought about telling her I didn't want them to go stale but I knew that wouldn't fly. She couldn't have cared less about the missing candy and I very well know she says those things out of love and a concern for me paying attention to my diabetic condition. When I posted a Valentines Day greeting on Facebook to acknowledge my love for her, this is what it said, "My Goal: 'Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her;...' Ephesians 5:25, (New American Standard Translation)" That has kept me busy for a long time and while I don't always meet that test, it's not from a lack of trying, and just so you know, I've learned it is a 24x7 work in progress. Bottom line for me: Just keep at it.

You only have to wait for it because you know it's coming. The feigned outrage loudly proclaimed by those who oppose everything the current administration is doing is now being juxtaposed to the previous similar if not the same views of those now expressing the outrage. Public statements, public votes, and in speeches and correspondence, the archives tell the story of what it means to be a corrupt political animal. I'm not saying party affiliation here. I'm talking about how the system works. How can you tell your constituents in good faith, with tears, how horrible this immigration ban is when you supported and voted for a bill five years ago that would have done the same thing? We can grasp clearly this quote from the late poet, Richard Armour, "Politics, it seems to me, for years, or all too long, has been concerned with right or left instead of right or wrong." I can say Amen to that one! So let the blame game continue because it has always been around. In fact, an anonymous quote puts it all in context, "George Washington is the only president who didn't blame the previous administration for his troubles."

Sorry about the political commentary but I couldn't resist. You read what she said about my willpower. Two of the notes I received regarding me achieving 2500 blogs said they looked forward to reading my next 2500 blogs. Are you kidding me? If that were achievable and it took me the same amount of time as the first 2500, I would be still aiming my old crooked fingers at the keyboard at age 81. Speaking of age, I don't know about you but when President George H. W. was pushed in a wheelchair across the field with wife Barbara tagging along in that little cart to do the coin toss at this year's Superbowl, I thought my heart would nearly burst. Respect, pride, and love for our country all wrapped up together in a two-minute presentation. I suppose that's what happens to us sentimental old coots. I can't remember if I had a tear or not, but, I can assure you there were some waiting in the wings. Oh well, in this case, I cannot deny the allegation or the alligator. I do hope you will have yourself a wonderful rest of the day on this Wednesday. We will be meeting at the place where other like-minded believers meet tonight for a time of food, fellowship, and Bible study. Some ask me why I go to the mid-week services. Simple. I need all the help I can get. And, also, I am the Bible teacher but that doesn't change one iota of what I said about how I need it. Love, politics, and a little preaching. That should do it for today. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: