Wednesday, January 25, 2017

"To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will." ~ Ronald Reagan

Good morning and welcome to today's edition on this Wednesday, January 25, 2017. You can be sure of a few things as you begin reading my posting for today. God is still in control. Community Coffee is still the best. And, I do have some thoughts to share with you. Most of you know we have a new President. I did vote for him. I was not a supporter of his candidacy. I have something to share with those who identify themselves as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. Be careful in how much faith you put in this newly elected leader. I've read postings from people I love and appreciate that almost make this individual something akin to God's man riding on a white horse coming to make all things right. I pray that any changes the new administration makes will benefit the American people. I learned, perhaps the hard way, about putting too much trust in thought to be powerful people. Thankfully, some time ago, I came in contact with the 146th Division of the Psalms. This is a sample of the theme of this song, verses 3 through 6:

Do not put your trust in princes,
Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help.

His spirit departs, he returns to his earth;
In that very day his plans perish.

Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help,
Whose hope is in the Lord his God,

Who made heaven and earth,
The sea, and all that is in them;
Who keeps truth forever,

Who executes justice for the oppressed,
Who gives food to the hungry.
The Lord gives freedom to the prisoners
.

I speak from experience. In business, in the work and ministry of the local fellowship of believers, and in personal relationships, people, maybe through no fault of their own, will let you down. As we look forward to what God has for us in the future, I continue to do what I did when the previous leader of our nation was in office. I pray for them and their families. "First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity." (1st Timothy Chapter 2, Verses 1-2) I would recommend consideration of the understanding from most trusted Bible theologians who agree that the 'first of all' denotes a priority. Something for us to meditate on. I could not have disagreed more with many of the policies embraced by the previous administration, however, at the same time, I detested the evil and often racist depictions of President Obama and his family. Sadly, many of these were posted or re-posted by those who claim a deep love for our Lord and Savior. Yes, we do live in a country where we have freedom of expression. However, as believers, I would posit that we have a higher calling. But, that's just me. I recently changed my nickname on the blogging utility to where it now reads Three Score and Ten Plus. Maybe that moniker is why I felt like sharing my gained wisdom over these many years. Remember, Rome was the government when the Apostle Paul wrote to his protege Timothy. Therefore, this admonition applies also to those who have aligned themselves as a hater of our newly elected leader. Okay. I can tell some of you are beginning to yawn, so, take it for what it is worth.

Here's one for you. What about when gray-haired says to white-haired, Sir? That one catches me off guard. I usually do a double take and look behind me to make sure they are talking to me. I think it must come from the Plus added to the Three Score and Ten. It does crack me up. It's like I'm stuck in a Twilight Zone version of Old McDonalds, here a sir, there a sir, everywhere a sir, sir. I think my reluctance to embrace this recognition has to do with how I see myself. I have trouble with people getting the door for me. Really? I often think to myself, while I appreciate their showing of respect, believe me, I can handle the door. I really can. But, it comes with the territory. Lord willing, I will soon attain the age of my grandfather when he went home to Glory. I certainly thought much of what he had to say was wisdom personified. I also did what I could to honor him. Again, I know he deserved every bit of that. Me? Well, I do have some trouble seeing myself in that way. It's somewhat humorous for me to even notice these changes and to wrestle with how to handle them. Yeah. I know. I'm the only one laughing about it. That happens way too often. Take care, now, you hear? And, may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: