Monday, January 9, 2017

Okay. So it was a little bit on the nippy side. My take. It was still a whole lot warmer than many other areas of our country.

We send out happy birthday greetings on the occasion of our Brady Darrell's 11th birthday. This is the baby of the family of our baby, Rodney Darrell, and wife Mitzi. Brady is like the all-American kid and he loves life, his family, and getting to be involved in so many different things. Most kids are a one of a kind. There are some that seem to be even more so. Our Rodney was always thought of in that way and it's pretty clear that Brady boy is a chip off the old block. Happy Birthday Brady from MiMi and Poppy. May God add His blessings to your special day. Amen.

Now on with today's edition. Good morning and welcome. This brand new year will not wait. For me. For you. For anyone. Therefore, I suppose we need to get on with it on this Monday, January 9, 2017. I am glad to report that my visit with mom went well and she continues to make progress. This rehab phase is very tough and her 92.5 year old body is resisting the work that must be done to get her back on her feet. I believe she will get there but it's hard to see her have to deal with the transitional pain. A thanks to our eldest Chris for driving me over on Saturday. I know mom and dad got a boost out of him being there. Our Chris has made himself into an expert cheesecake maker. (There's no telling how much time, effort, and trials he went through before he figured out his technique.) So much so most of us in the family have trouble ordering it, even in places supposedly known for their cheesecake expertise. This past Christmas he prepared a small one for mom and dad. I carried it to them along with our grilled meat cookout meal. I don't think I've seen anyone enjoy his work more than they did. And, dad is very protective of making it last as long as he can. He told me it's the kind of dessert that you eat very slowly so that you enjoy it as long as you can. I know mom wondered if she would make it through the surgery or not. That was obviously on her mind as she was telling everyone goodbye before they carried her to the operating room. She was crying and all the granddaughters there were crying. I couldn't cry because as I told her, I knew she was going to be just fine, no matter what happened, before, during, and after the surgery. The other thing I have felt very strongly about is making sure I maintain a sense of thankfulness for her and the life God has allowed us to share with her. So many people tell me often how they wish they could see their mom or dad, just one more time. I do my best to never boast because I know that our blessings through mom and dad are a gift from God. We give Him thanks. Amen.

Many critics are making the case that our new president is not acting 'presidential'. I would prefer that he not use Twitter as his way of dealing with state issues, however, any and everything he does that attempts to change the environment of collusion and corruption, I am for it! They lament how the people he is appointing do not have years of government experience. I say good! They also claim his desire to focus on making America great again is alienating our allies and friends. I don't believe that for a moment and again I say, good! They believed it was criminal for the Republicans to have announced a strategy of opposition against newly elected President Obama. Now they are engaging in active warfare and enlisting support from all quarters before Trump even takes the oath of office. I do know this. The Bureaucracy, with a capital B, is unbelievably powerful. It has as its 24x7 passion, self-preservation. It is made up of people who are profited by government. It is made up of all parties and backgrounds. It has defeated most challenges throughout our history, therefore, it's little wonder that it feels threatened by anyone who has no history of falling in line. You think I am just making this up? Watch this great Beast rise up against any and all attempts to reign it in. Yep. It is my view. And, I think it to be a reasonable reading of this transitional process unfolding before our eyes. I report. You have to come up with your own analysis.

I know some might interpret my views as being somehow indicative that I have perfect knowledge and am all knowing. Let me be clear. Only God fits those descriptions. I am just the observer and chief of my own perspective and domain. As I come into this brand new year, you might be surprised to find out that I have much that I need to work on in my own life. Even after passing that significant three score and ten, I can unashamedly confess that I have not arrived. The other day I used a Benjamin Franklin quote. "Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man." There's a lot to be said in that admonition. I immediately could identify and will, only with God's help and by His grace, attempt to work on those kinds of improvements in my own life. The first order of business is to see the need. I can see mine. I hope you can see yours. That's why I often use that familiar old song to describe my own personal situation, "It's me, it's me, it's me oh Lord, standing in the need of prayer." Obviously, I have tenure for being a 'work in progress' over such a long period of time. Thankfully, He has not given up on me yet. The hit children's song from many years ago is still true for me as I continue my travels here on the planet. Here's the opening part of that song, "He's still working on me To make me what I need to be It took him just a week to make the moon and stars The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars How loving and patient He must be 'Cause He's still workin' on me". I suppose that's why I have always stayed quiet when folks ask what I want to be when I grow up. Waiting to find out. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: