Monday, January 30, 2017

"A man has been shot with a starting pistol. The police are pretty sure it is race related." ~ copied

Mom loves to hear the Bible read.
Update on my mom. I hate to say I told you so, but, mom had to be readmitted to the hospital last Friday. I spent the day with her on Saturday. I was able to sing Amazing Grace for her and I read the 139th Psalm while I was there. She has developed a urinary tract infection and she still has residual issues from her pneumonia. In addition to that, she is understandably stressed about her prospects. We hope to find out more today about options for her care at this time. Please continue to pray for her and dad as they make these decisions. May God bless our mom. Amen
 
Here we go again. Welcome. It's back to work Monday, January 30, 2017. The 30th? You are kidding, aren't you? The entire month of January just made a swooshing sound. Bam! It's almost over and I'm still wondering how to get the new year started. After seeing mom and dad, all I can say is in keeping with the old adage, one day at a time, because it certainly applies. These one day, 400 mile, trips are beginning to make me interested in these self-driving vehicles. I read the other day that every major car maker has a research lab working on these automated vehicles. I'm not sure they would be ready for the trip over to my old stomping grounds. Some would have it stamping but that's not how we phrased it growing up. These automated vehicles would be challenged on that road I take. It's odd. There's a divided stretch, four lanes, where the speed limit is 70 miles per hour. Right after you leave that divided road, it becomes a narrow two lane highway but the speed limit is increased to 75 miles per hour. On that road, one had better be up on the wheel at all times. The folks who live off of that 75 mph highway, they don't seem to pay any attention to the traffic when they decide to turn on to it. They live there. They own it. When they join the roadway they are totally oblivious to the cars flying left and right, swerving here and there, some almost in the ditch. They are focused entirely on a very slow acceleration to get themselves up to maybe 45 or 50 mph. It happens nearly every trip. I'm not sure one of those computer-driven cars would have a clue as to what to do when Grandpa decides to run down to the store for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread.

Most of you know by now that I am a card-carrying member of the fee-based International Brotherhood of Real Bearded Santas, (IBRBS). There's about 1200 of us who make up this group. The leadership of this organization are all elected but they serve voluntarily. They work hard to provide all types of services for those of us who portray Santa or Mrs. Claus. I noticed in the most recent newsletter that one of the initiatives being pursued is a healthy eating promotion for children. It was developed by a particular Santa out in California and it's intended to help fight the huge problem in our nation of childhood obesity. I am all for things like this. I do, however, make an observation, in passing. Based on the photos of our current members, it seems that some type of healthy diet promotion might be in order for those of us who don the red. I'm talking bellies that are very large indeed. I know. The poem said that when he laughed his belly shook like a bowl full of jelly. Many who portray Santa believe a huge belly is required to be genuine. I might point them to the newsletter section where Santa's are remembered who have made their final sleigh ride to meet their Maker. There might be a correlation. Food for thought. No pun intended.

I'm certainly not pointing at myself up as a role model for healthy anything. But, by comparison, I would be considered as a very small bellied Santa. I did try to go without padding a few times but several mentioned how that Santa must have lost a lot of weight. Playing the character doesn't mean I have to bulk up my belly. They make numerous padding alternatives that work well. Just so you know, the fellow who initiated the children's healthy eating promotion is a good looking Santa without a huge belly. Maybe he practices what he preaches. I could do more of that. What say you? No. It's not a slow news day and I am well aware that Santa bellies are not a huge topic of interest to a broad-minded audience like the one I have. Yet, my thought had to do with the obvious and glaring disconnects we often see in life. Like this one: "The grossly overweight preacher gasping for breath as he proclaims the spiritual values associated with living a life of self-control and moderation." That was my thought when I read about the healthy eating initiative. Yes, friend, you are right. If you have to explain your explanation, well, it's probably best to follow George's advice, "Just say goodnight Gracie." (George Burns and Gracie Allen) Enjoy your day and may God add His blessings to it. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: