Wednesday, January 4, 2017

“To dress up today in the threadbare garments of yesterday is to create an impoverished tomorrow.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough

Good Wednesday morning on this January 4, 2016. I find it interesting to track on Facebook the progress of a particular sporting event, like a football game, from a diehard fan's perspective. The fan comments as the game unfolds. When their team does something good, they go bonkers in sharing the good news with any and all who see their postings. However, as it so often goes, things don't always work out like one would want them to. When the team starts to falter, the fan often becomes critical of the play calling, the performance of the players, and, oh yeah, the officiating. If the team continues to do poorly, what started off with such exuberance suddenly is surrounded by very short postings that become fewer and fewer as the bad news continues. I don't know why but that's interesting to me. I suppose it reflects upon the human condition but it's also a metaphor for how most of us view things going on around us. I don't post or tweet during sporting events. That doesn't mean I am neutral when I am watching a game. Our local professional football team, the Texans, have won their division. Yay. They made the playoffs again. Yay. They are so bad on offense, it makes them hard to watch even when they are winning. However, for the first time in their history, they have the number one rated defense in all of the NFL. Now that is something. While it is true that defense typically wins games during the playoffs, a team would most likely have to have a marginally good offense to score some points. That's the Achilles heel of this team as I see it. I thought I would let you know about my thoughts since I don't post on Facebook or tweet on Twitter during the games.

I saw an article that I intend to read that talks about the motivation behind those posting on social media. It had the teaser that said, "Sharing or Bragging." I also watched that very popular video where the fellow gives his analysis of what makes millennials the way they are. This is a ten-minute overview dealing with the thoughts, concerns, ethics, and expectations of this huge population segment born beginning in the 1980's. It was very insightful and while the kids themselves are eventually going to have to own up to their responsibilities, this analysis pointed the finger squarely at the parents and grandparents who helped pave the way for these kids who have such a distorted view of reality. This is the generation that has always gotten their way. They have received a trophy even when they finished last. They have excelled at playing games and doing selfies and in 24x7 interaction in the various forms of social media. They see work differently than past generations. The past generations see millennials as totally lacking in terms of their reliability and commitment. No matter how we look at it, these millennials will have an impact on the future of our nation, and, on us as a people, including you and I. Another thing I see that does need to be clearly stated. There are exceptions. And, I believe God will work in the lives of those exceptions along with those who are won to Christ to make a way forward. I don't see it as being hopeless but it is a reality that we all should be praying about. (Millennials, whom we define as those ages 18-34 in 2015, now number 75.4 million, surpassing the 74.9 million Baby Boomers (ages 51-69).

As we get into the brand new year, I want to again express my appreciation to those who take the time to read my daily blog. I started to say it is a labor of love, but, since I'm not exactly sure what all that entails, I think I will go with, at least at this time, it is a part of who I am. Or, maybe better yet, it has become a part of who I am. I know some days it can be rather rough. It happens like that when you are your own editor. I don't feel great every time I hit the publish button, but, I am thankful to engage in the process each time I sit down at the old upright keyboard. (Think: upright piano.) I know what some of you are thinking. If I am going to allude to something musical, my stuff needs to at least produce a memorable melody. Oh well, to repeat a worn out series of worn out phrases, it is what it is, what you see is what you get, it is how I see things, and when all else fails, it does fulfill Paw Paw Mac's stated concerns, "Will that boy ever come up for air?" That gives it at lease a tenuous link to a legacy. Historical context, if you will. You do know I'm just messing around here but in all seriousness, I do appreciate those who read as well as those who send me comments. They are welcomed. I do hope you have a great rest of the day and may God add His blessings to it. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: